Cold sores and the spread of them

willyable

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Aug 1, 2008
I didn't know that cold sores could be passed to your genitals if you were to have oral sex while you were contagious. Is this how you end up getting herpes because cold sores is a type of herpe. Honestly I Don't think that you have to be contagious to spread it to someone else.

VampyrePain

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 15, 2008
Cold sores are caused either by Herpes Simplex Virus 1 or 2 (HSV1 or HSV2) which cause herpetic lesions (or ulcers.) While you have an active infection, the virus can easily be transmitted to another person's mucus membranes through kissing or oral-genital contact. While you are not having an outbreak, the virus lies dormant in the nerve ganglia near the sight of the infection. During these periods of dormancy, there is very little virus present on surface of the mucus membrane (requiring very sensitive PCR based detection assays to quantify.) It seems that it is difficult (though probably not impossible) to transmit the virus during these latent phases. Compounding the problem is the fact that as many as half of persons infected with HSV1 or HSV2 will never become symptomatic or even know that they have contracted the virus. In addition, there are very few good studies on the transmission of HSV during the latent phase.

That being said, persons who have recurrent herpes outbreaks often report being able to tell that they are going to have an outbreak before herpetic lesions appear. During these times, it seems the virus is actively replicating and moving through the nerve ganglia towards the mucus membrane surface and can be easily transmitted.

If you have a partner that has herpes, antiviral drugs such as acyclovir or valcyclovir (valtrex) may reduce the risk of transmission. There are also studies where acyclovir or its derivatives have been used as a prophylactic to prevent herpes infection in non-infected individuals. Condoms are NOT nearly 100% effective in preventing herpes transmission although they associate with a lower relative risk of infection.

If you want further explanation of any of this material or have any other questions, let me know.

Momof2

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jun 24, 2008
Cold sores are herpes and because they are so contagious yes they can be passed to the genitals, very important to be rid of them..

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
This is interesting.

Cold sores are herpes and because they are so contagious yes they can be passed to the genitals, very important to be rid of them..

This is very interesting to me. I always thought cold sores were the results of having a cold with very high fever. I have never had a cold sore, but been around a lot of people that get them quite frequently.

smokeyeager

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
May 8, 2011
Here's a good reference on this subject matter http://www.herpesonline.org/hsv1vs2.html

So far I've been lucky not to have either but I know I, like most people, will probably contract HSV1 (Oral herpes). 80 - 90% of people in the US do. I hope one day scientists can find a way to eradicate all viruses so we won't have to worry about such things.

DarthCarzer

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Switch
Jul 29, 2011
Cold sores also known as Hepatitis can be passed to your genitals very easily

livilou

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Apr 23, 2013
I didn't know that cold sores could be passed to your genitals if you were to have oral sex while you were contagious. Is this how you end up getting herpes because cold sores is a type of herpe. Honestly I Don't think that you have to be contagious to spread it to someone else.

If you have a cold sore, you're automatically contagious. The best medicine I've found for getting rid of a cold sore is a product called cur-a-sore or cure-a-sore, not sure which. You may have to ask a pharmacist if they carry it. You won't find it in the aisle. If you can catch it as it's forming and start using medicine, it will never form completely and should be gone in a few days.

livilou

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Apr 23, 2013
Those aren't the same as a regular cold sore. This is more due to a chemical imbalance in the body, called canker sores.

Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus.

Featured Threads

New Personals