Kinktalk & Getdare Anti-sopa blackout?

Jamie

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 8, 2012
I haven't seen anything regarding this, but a few of my favourite sites such as Wikipedia and FetMe are having a 24 hour blackout with some sites even being knocked offline for a full 24 hours on Wednesday 18th December at 5am UTC...

Since theres a lot of users on KT and GD I'm suprised nothing has been mentioned about an actual blackout. I think it would be a good idea, if not blocking the site for 24 hours then at least change the colour to black with the appropriate banner link?

I think its important for all of us that this doesn't get through. Imagine a place without a KT or GD :eek:

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
There was a notification on getDare that the site would go off tomorrow but I have seen no notifications here. I talked with gD mod Rachie earlier and I'm trying to have more informations about it. So if I know anything I will post back or even better yet: if Depp logs in he will surely see this post and clarify for us :)

Hollyann

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Switch
Jun 11, 2011
Are the websites going to be off for just 24 hours or perminatly

Jamie

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 8, 2012
None of the sites will be going offline permanently (unless they want to) some are just displaying a banner for a couple of minutes, others are changing their colours, some such as wikipedia are going offline for a full 24 hours.

If SOPA gets through then the power is granted that could allow just about any site to be knocked offline especially if they display any content that holds copyrighted material..

IE Blogger could go offline if a user even posts say the cover of Lady Gaga's latest single as part of a review. The whole .com will get seized.

Jamie

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 8, 2012
Actually I see that other sites have already gone dark a little earlier than www.wikipedia.com which goes dark in about 4 hours time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
Just read the notification on getDare:

getDare and KinkTalk will soon be going dark in protest of the U.S. Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT-IP Act (PIPA). The U.S. Congress is about to censor the Internet, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill these bills to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity. Learn more at AmericanCensorship.org

shavedrachel

• Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Staff member
Sep 28, 2010
Glad to see everything is back up and running.

Can't imagine a world without all those websites that have been down. Makes you realise what we all take for granted.

Love Rachie
x x x x

depp

sysop
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Staff member
Nov 20, 2007
Sorry about being unclear with Kink Talk users about the planned downtime. I only ended up posting a notice here about 4 hours before things were taken offline. We were down from 11:00pm the day before to 4:00pm PST today (17 hours total).

Featured Threads

New Personals