• Total voters

Stitch

Administrator
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Submissive
Staff member
Apr 18, 2010
I completely agree with what has been said already in this thread.

I think this goes hand in hand with a conversation I had earlier with a friend. Would feeling a desire for someone who's not your partner determine your level of devotion? I would think not. It is really hard for someone to want one person and one person only. Some may claim that their partners are 'trained' to do so, but no one apart from the person themselves would know.

Flirting makes people feel good about themselves. The only important thing is keeping in control of the situation, and knowing where you stand. Some casual flirting, and a few extra compliments is always nice.

HaplessYouth

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Oct 26, 2010
IMO Flirting is not cheating but it isn't "not" cheating... Its somewhere in the grey area in the middle. I would never be happy to find out a girl I was seeing or was with was flirting with another guy.

That stuff doesn't fly with HY :D

superfreak

Banned
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Jul 25, 2011
Depends on why you are flirting. It could just be natural. I do it by instinct even though have a girlfriend, I don't mean anything by it though. I like my girlfriend and I know she would not have an issue with it.

Memories for Life

Kink Talk Prodigy
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 15, 2011
As a Catholic priest once told me "Just because you're on a diet, there's no harm in looking at the menu!"

GoogleMaster

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 12, 2009
I think you can flirt and not cheat, but that you could flirt and be cheating. I sometimes flirt and it is just a little fun. That may not be cheating, but flirting with an emotional attachment may be emotional cheating.

kurious

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Dec 12, 2010
You really have to define exactly what you feel a "flirt" is. If you flirting means that you are just laughing and joking with them, with the odd sexual inuedo that's certainly not cheating. If your form of flirting is getting extremely close and being as touchy as you can without scaring them off... well that's getting closer to cheating. So no, flirting is not cheating...but it can come close to a line that is best not to be crossed.

Riley Taylor

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Switch
Aug 11, 2011
It depends upon the two people involved. You could ask, "If you have sex with another person, is it cheating?" In most cases, yes, but there are open relationships. I would say that by the same token, in a relationship in which neither person cares or is bothered by it, it's not cheating. In a relationship in which one or both partners is upset by it, it is cheating.

Personally, I unconsciously flirt to some degree, and I'm unaware of it and can't help it. I don't mean to, so I don't feel I can be accused of cheating. However, if I go beyond that and start joking about leaving the person I'm dating for them, even in jest, I would say that (at least in relationships where flirting is considered cheating) is over the line.

Basically, it depends. Maybe flirting isn't cheating no matter what for some people. For some, maybe even a little bit of flirting is cheating. For others (such as myself), it's probably somewhere in between.

Maybe this should be among the list of things couples talk about early on in the relationship. I don't know.

Also, this is my first post on here!

Queen2U

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Sep 5, 2011
I voted Yes, but it all "depends". There are different levels of flirting and a multitude of different situations/people/dynamics involved.

Example 1: In public, my sub is very polite to everyone, especially women. At first, I misconstrued some of his actions as flirting. I didn't say anything and just did observation. After a full day of being with him in public, I concluded that it is just his nature to serve/respect ALL women as they should be. :)

Example 2: Ex-husband and I are at restaurant and he acts different from the norm (smiling really big at waitress, winking at her, calling her honey). And he finishes up with saying to me, "Boy, I'd like to bend her over" while giving her a huge tip. GASP!!! One of many reasons he is now my Ex.

Plus, what one defines as flirting, another person may not. So I think flirting, in general, is purely subjective and variable. Personally, I'm a bit selfish and possessive, but working on it. :)

~Queen2U

greeneyedkitty

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Switch
Aug 16, 2013
This depends on the situation to be honest. I can flirt a lot as I tend to be good at it. If I go to a market where you need to barter and the seller is a girl, then well I'm going to flirt to get the price down and I doubt anyone would see that as cheating. But if I was to flirt with a girl at a bar while I'm dating another one, then I can see how that can be considered cheating because even if I didn't do anything, well if I was with a girl at the time she would be suspicious as at the end of the day she really doesn't know what happened.

It's not a yes/no question, it really depends on the situation.

The-Wolf

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 25, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
To me as long as you and the person you are in a relationship with know that nothing will come of it. Then it isn't cheating. Cheating to me is when you engage in an act that should be saved for your spouse or gf/bf. dates, kissing or any sexual act. Flirting is nothing more then commenting a person, though sometimes suggestively.

I flirt with my wife's best friend. Both my wife and her are ok with it. Though my wife would be fine with me fucking her. But that is cause I have a unique wife.

A SO that is confident in the relationship will not have an issue. Ones with self confidence issues and high amounts of jelosey.

princess

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Submissive
Aug 16, 2013
Darling Downs Queensland
Cheating

Cheating is only cheating if it is done with the intent to deceive so is flirting cheating? Are you open with your partner about it or do you hide it from them?

I don't consider my flirting cheating because I do not hide it from my partner and often flirt with others while I am with her.

Kitten

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Switch
Apr 29, 2009
I don't think flirting is cheating personally, but I do feel like you can take it to a point where it's disrespectful to the person you're actually with.

archie21

Banned
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Dominant
Apr 24, 2010
It comes naturally to me, I have been told I have flirty eyes and so I find that I flirt without intending too. In my book if a woman or girl has a name badge then use her name, it is partly why it is there, I find the service tends to be better if you try. A bit like going to a foreign country and using their own language, it may not be right but you will get respect for it and may even end up learning a lot more besides.

I try not to flirt when I am with someone as it is rude but as I say it comes naturally, so on a date the other night I tried to avoid making eye contact with any girl who served us.

Caguioa747

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 31, 2019
Flirting is playful interaction with another person, with romantic intent. It involves a lot of nonverbal communication, giving signs and hints. It goes both ways; it's a conversation. It's saying "Hey babe, I'd like to hook up with you" without actually saying it. So if you are in a relationship and flirt with someone else then you can call it cheating.

cmb1990

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 31, 2019
No, unless there is happening between you and to the one you are flirting such as going out for a date with her/him or making love with her/him.

jpk0007

Kinky Newbie
  • Gay
  • Male
  • Private
Feb 1, 2019
Some people consider flirting cheating. What are you thoughts? If you say that is cheating then please explain why you feel this way.
Well, I don't think that flirting can be called cheating at all. Cheating is completely different from Flirting. Healthy flirting can help you make new connections. You are able to interact and be open with your eventual partners when you start from Flirting. Love relationships need to evolve gradually and there must be freedom for both the partners to explore and experiment till they commit themselves to a relationship. Flirting after marriage or a committed relationship can be considered cheating if it has sexual attraction attached to it.

piesocial

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Nov 1, 2014
Somewhat.

You're pursuing relationships with other people, otherwise you're being dishonest with the people you're flirting with. So you're either being dishonest with them or you're being dishonest with your partner.

It depends on the type of relationship you have, because maybe you are being honest with them. It's perfectly ok to have an open relationship as long as you aren't lying.

phanuruch

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 31, 2019
Flirting is a sexual language. You do not flirt with someone you do not fancy. Now, cheating does not start with physical manifestations such as touching. Rather, it is a psychological issue. It starts in the mind before manifesting in the physical. Every cheating episode starts with flirting.

Featured Threads

New Personals