50 Shades of Grey Movie fallout

LDCII

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Sep 18, 2014
London
so with the incoming 50 Shades of Grey Movie this week, is that going to be good for the BDSM community or is it going to encourage a whole heap of wannabe Mr Greys? Discuss.

articfox97

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jan 26, 2015
If i had to guess probably a little of bouth. And never mind soon if it will happen its effects are probably already being felt. Actually now that i think about it they are being felt as sex toy sales and wips and what not have gone up or so claimed the news.

selina_kyle

Banned
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Feb 5, 2015
It depends, many people are investigating and researching about BDSM and what it is all about. BDSM (at least in my country) is a major taboo. People who practice it are thought of as sick and twisted. I read an article in which an organization was asking people to boycott the movie and instead of go seeing it, donate the money to organizations against domestic violence.
When I do agree that violence is disgusting against a woman, BDSM is completely different as most (and yes I said most, not all) of us know. It's sane, safe and consensual. None of our practices go against the submissive's wishes and if by any chance we are pushing them too far from their limits they have a safe word to use and let us know.
I don't know yet how well made the movie was and this was a fanfic written by someone who has never practiced BDSM before in her life. Which is why I rather have a book from Cherise Sinclair made into a movie.
Maybe it will help open some people's minds regarding BDSM, maybe they'll think Christian Grey is a twisted mofo... who knows? We cannot control what others think about what we do like, enjoy and find pleasure in.
I do understand that Christian in the books is kinda pushy with this whole thing, which is not really how it goes in the BDSM world. You discuss getting into the lifestyle usually with someone who you are with not a rule tho of course. But the trust here is a 2 way street. So this "boycotting" because BDSM is domestic violence is just IMHO stupid, All of what we do is consensual, is talked about before a scene, whether in a cub on in private. Whether your a sadist who loves inflicting pain or a masochist that gets off on pain, all of what you do and get done is talked about before. Is not like we want someone to come out of nowhere and punch us or be the punch giver just because we get off that way. There are, unfortunately, twisted fucks who claim they are sadistic dominants and they don't give a rat's ass about their sub... Which give the BDSM community a bad fucking name.

Someonespecial

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
May 8, 2014
NYC
I think it will be both. Though I have already met quite a few wanna be Mr. Greys. A lot of whom lack the follow through of afore mentioned fictional character. It's kinda disappointing.

secretspanker

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Jul 8, 2013
United Kingdom
if only we all looked as good as Jamie Dornan

i doubt that many male 'doms' will be as successful playing the role of Christian Grey-unfortunately we don't all look as good as Jamie Dornan-this is the real world!:eek:

Last edited:

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
If it follows a similar pattern to the books the biggest fallout I saw then was a huge number of mature women looking for bdsm experiences in online forums thinking it was all like the book. I chatted to many like this at that time and most if not all got scared off pretty quickly by clumsy advances from inexperienced males. There was certainly an increase in new "Doms" but the number of wannabe subs was what I noticed most...

dshaffer316

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jan 13, 2015
Im a new dom but i hope the movie does not ruin it for me. I have interested in being a dom for a long time i finallly took the leap into being a online dom. I love this website everybody here is nice so i hope that the movie does not ruin it for everybody here

Featured Threads

New Personals