Fishsticks

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Switch
May 12, 2008
Both my boyfriend and I am what you could call newbies to BDSM and are interested in adding handcuffs to the mix. In the past we have only really experimented with spanking and caning never physical bondage. I ordered a pair of handcuffs to start off with along with a collar and chain but have never used anything like this before. As of now I have only really read about this stuff.

So..... Is there anything I need to know about handcuff safety? Also are there any positions with the handcuffs you can recommend in conjunction to the collar and chain. I want him to be somewhat comfortable and know how to keep him safe.

aika

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
May 20, 2008
England
By the looks of it, the handcuffs you bought are the cheapest metal handcuffs you can get, they have that standard one-prong key and a safety catch allowing you to release the handcuffs without the key (these can be taken off easily with a hacksaw).

When with a partner, the only safety knowledge is to not tighten them too much, or they leave nasty marks on your wrists. if using them on your own, make sure you put them on in a way that you can reach the keyholes. Otherwise, even if you have the key, you won't be able to release yourself!

DominantJohn

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 7, 2008
Unless there is a double lock (1 lock to latch the handcuff, the second lock to prevent it from moving in either direction) the main thing you have to watch out for is them tightening when you're playing with them. (EG: you bang your wrist into the headboard and it closes another notch). This can actually cut off circulation so be sure to watch it. The best thing I found for this is the first couple of times using them DO NOT GAG the person being cuffed, this way they can communicate if need be. After getting comfortable with them for a while then you can use another sign (eg: shake your legs back and forth repeatedly) to signal that the cuffs need attention. Depending on your lifestyle, discomfort may be wanted but cutting off circulation can cause permanent damage to the limb in question.

rumen

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jun 11, 2008
It's very helpful to be acquainted with the handcuffs. You don't know when you will need and come in handy :)

Featured Threads

New Personals