Why use condoms to make love but nothing during oral sex?

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
I have a question for everyone that is not in a monogamous relationship. Why would would you make love to someone new with a condom but when you do oral sex you do not use any type of protection.

I have talked to several people and they seem to think that you can not get AIDS from oral sex. I do not know why they think that or who gave they that idea.

shadoweater

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
May 23, 2008
The risk of HIV infection still exists, but it isn't as severe. It would probably require blood in the mouth of the person performing to spread (in either direction).

Not that the risk of AIDS isn't a concern, but the odds are much lower than the odds of getting someone pregnant. As pregnancy through oral sex is impossible, that threat already doesn't exist.

VampyrePain

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 15, 2008
It is nearly impossible to contract HIV through oral sex. That being said, herpes simplex virus and gonorrhea are easliy transmitted through oral sex. Hence the reason that flavored condoms are available.

Merlin

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Staff member
Jan 9, 2008
Germany
It is nearly impossible to contract HIV through oral sex.[...]
There are no reliably studies about this this (although there are some running at the moment)... and although i would agree that there are several other things that are more likely to get from oral sex and that the chance to get HIV is smaller than form vaginal or oral sex...to say it is nearly impossible is not right! Best you could say is that it is not known how high the risk exactly is...

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
Semen and Vaginal Fluids

Do you agree that semen and vaginal fluids have our DNA in it? With that being said it is safe to say that during certain stages of the infection, we could contract it during oral sex.

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
Do you agree that semen and vaginal fluids have our DNA in it? With that being said it is safe to say that during certain stages of the infection, we could contract it during oral sex.
It is fact that both semen & vaginal fluids contains one person's DNA. But if one person is infected with let's say HIV it's not their DNA that is affected but their immunitary system... But anyways to the original question, I don't see any valid reason for someone to refuse to wear a condom even if it's "only" for oral especially when it concerns new partners.

willyable

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Aug 1, 2008
That is a great answer, I mean really why do that. It is pointless because when it all boils down to it, you can get it either way I know that you should use plastic wrap to protect yourself but who does? I think people don't like having to do the extra work.

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
Extra work for protection

That is a great answer, I mean really why do that. It is pointless because when it all boils down to it, you can get it either way I know that you should use plastic wrap to protect yourself but who does? I think people don't like having to do the extra work.

I agree with you, I think most people do not want to do the extra work but also some people think and believe that it do not feel as good as the natural connection. I guess more people will be having sex, anal and oral without protection because it do not feel the same with the protection on.

shinningstar

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 8, 2008
If you want not to be infected by any viruses, why not ask for medical records first before having sex? I allow my man to use condom so that I'll not get pregnant. Oral is a different thing, I can't imagine myself tasting a rubber with full of chemicals in it.

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
Medical Records?!!

If you want not to be infected by any viruses, why not ask for medical records first before having sex? I allow my man to use condom so that I'll not get pregnant. Oral is a different thing, I can't imagine myself tasting a rubber with full of chemicals in it.

This sounds good but I know most people will be offended. I would not have a problem doing it because this way we will know that it is safe. I just do not know how this could become common practice among people that lives to have multiple sex partners and ready to have sex tonight,not tomorrow after the Doctor's Visit.

Momof2

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jun 24, 2008
Good question but I do wonder the small amount of fluids from oral would they actually make difference ? I don't think oral with a condom would be so nice though.

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
Fluids

Good question but I do wonder the small amount of fluids from oral would they actually make difference ? I don't think oral with a condom would be so nice though.

Well you have to give even the smallest amount of fluid the credit deserves. You see that crime labs can get a DNA sample from just a drop of blood or skin tissue from the insides of your jaw. I also know what you about the taste of a condom.

Dementyia

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
May 14, 2008
There are low-latex-scent (and therefore flavor) condome on the market now, some of which are flavored. They're not bad either, much less artificial flavor or chemical taste than regular condoms.

Of course if you hate it all, then you can try a non-latex condom, or just not preform oral sex if you have multiple, untested partners.

Deia

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
May 24, 2008
In order to contract HIV through oral sex, there would have to be an open wound of some sort in the person's mouth. Something to allow the semen to enter the bloodstream. Swallowing it would NOT pass on the disease, because it would hit the stomach acid, and the digestions process would destroy the virus. So it's possible, but not likely. Hence why it's extremely rare to get HIV from, say, kissing.

However, it's a popular myth that condoms prevent the transfer of the HIV virus. While it might lower your chances, it does NOT make it safe. It is still very easily possible to contract HIV, even if using a condom. The same with pretty much any STD. The only truly "safe" sex is no sex, unfortunately.

Etherialknight

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Oct 19, 2008
The only real obstacle with asking for medical records is when you are moving quickly from one guy to the next, usually one night stands. If the thrill of having sex with strangers is that overwhelming you are simply going to have to suck it up and compromise with using flavored condoms.

Otherwise, there are plenty of free clinics that will screen for HIV and other transmitted diseases and a few hours out of your day isn't going to kill anyone. Honestly, If asking for peace of mind and responsible sex is your limit...

My advice, find steady partners you know are clean and seek other thrills that don't involve so many unknown elements. You are not exactly lacking in options and nothing is worth the regret of that one in a thousand chance that happened to be you.

Saxon

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Dec 18, 2008
Oral Sex can lead to an infection of the nastier sort, such as HIV and consequently AID, but you are less likely to pick it up via Oral instead of penetrative sex.

This does not mean you are safe with unprotected Oral, there is still a plethora of other "nasties" out there such as herpes that can bite you if you get caught, so you must be careful.

At the end of the day its all about risk assesment. Unprotected Oral with a loving partner who has been tested is going to be safer than unprotected Oral with 20 partners who you have no idea about their medical history. Common sense should prevail as to when and where you think protection should be used.

As for the argument that you have no excuse for not using protection because of the variety of non latex and flavoured condoms out there, I still believe that all forms of sexual activity are more sensual, intimate and overall better without protection. Again I must state here that I do not condone unprotected sex as the norm or even in rarity unless you are in a stable and loving relationship and both are prepared to accept the consequences.

At the end of that ramble what can I say for all those I've confused. Unprotected is great if your in a safe relationship, but as you get closer to polyamorous relationships, contraception should be a serious consideration.

aviddrummer

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
May 25, 2010
The main reason I have sex with a condom but none during oral is because I don't want the girl to get pregnant. To me wearing a condom during oral sex is like wearing a winter jacket while getting a massage. I enjoy it more if I'm not wearing a condom and there's no way of her getting pregnant.

tempered_sugar

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
May 6, 2008
Risk of HIV or AIDS via oral sex is low BUT there are hundreds of other STDs that you can easily get. AIDS/HIV is not under control, especially for straight people. In the UK it is becoming a huge problem along with a lot of STDs. I don't think younger people are educated enough on the risks and how to recognise an STD.

As for oral sex with someone you don't know is "clean" or not for me is a bit nasty. I wouldn't shove someones cock in my mouth if I had no idea where it had been! I would have no problem asking a guy to wear a condom during oral but maybe people are just too embarrassed or don't fully understand the risks. Same goes for guys, you can get thrush in your mouth if the woman you give oral already has it. Try and explain that one to all your friends!

spiritualxtc

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Mar 14, 2010
The risk of HIV infection still exists, but it isn't as severe. It would probably require blood in the mouth of the person performing to spread (in either direction).

Not that the risk of AIDS isn't a concern, but the odds are much lower than the odds of getting someone pregnant. As pregnancy through oral sex is impossible, that threat already doesn't exist.

The above is accurate.

Let's also not forget that you can't get pregnant from oral sex, which I am sure is a major factor.

To the OP's point, there is still a risk of transmission of one STD or another as long as contact is being made, and you really ought to practice safe-sex or have sex with a safe-partner.

Featured Threads

New Personals