Kink Talk

Go Back   Kink Talk > Community > Community Events

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Kinky Newbie
Straight - Female - Switch

LadyLomion is on a distinguished road
Default What is a Munch?

A munch is a meeting of local pervs, kinksters and fetishists in a vanilla setting- normally a pub in the UK- and intended as a stepping stone into the fetish/BDSM scene in that area. The dress is usually normal clothes (not fetish), and there is no play involved. It is just a chance to meet local people in a safe, non-committal environment. You'll meet people of all ages and persuasions, from hardcore Master/slave couples, through proDommes, retailers and manufacturers of toys and equipment (such as myself), club organisers like TensionRoom101 to the curious, those just starting out, or those who are simply kinky in the privacy of their own homes. Although things like under25 or over35 munches are designed to accommodate people in a particular age bracket, where these are run they are normally in conjunction with a more generic munch too.

Munches are usually the most likely the best place to find out about the scene in your area- but how do you find out about the munches to start off with? Increasingly Fetlife is a good website to use to get the info, or InformedConsent in the UK is good.

Your local fetish club may also have a website- here in the north east of England the Tension Fetish Club website has most information about our scene and the associated munches.

Lis x

Quality BDSM and fetish equipment in the north east of England.

www.cufflove.co.uk
Old 09-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Kink Talk Member
Bisexual - Male - Dominant

TensionRoom101 is on a distinguished road

Eeeee, thanks for the nod (for those that don't know, Tension Fetish Club is the club I co-run here in Newcastle).

It's a good intro. It's easy for us who've been on the scene a lot of years to take this stuff for granted. People often say 'try your local munch' without ever qualifying that, which I imagine isn't very helpful to the scared newcomer.

Anyway, to pick up on a couple of things you said- suitable attire. Check with your organisers if you're unsure about what you can wear. It says for most munches 'no overt fetish wear' or something similar, but a lot of fetish fashion has become quite mainstream now, with a large overlap into the goth / emo attire on our high streets.

As you say we have 6 munches here in the north east (about 100 miles between the 2 furthest apart), each with a different feel to them. Be aware though that there may well be an undercurrent of scene politics. There can be conflicting egos and conflicting opinions. If there's more than one munch in your town (or immediate area) there may be a reason for that. Get along to more than one if there are two or more.

Mike

TENSION FETISH CLUB
North East England's premiere fetish and bdsm club for over a decade.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Kinky Newbie

LadyLomion is on a distinguished road

Does anyone else here run a munch? Or maybe you attend a good one in your area? Or want advice on setting one up?

Quality BDSM and fetish equipment in the north east of England.

www.cufflove.co.uk
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Kinky Newbie

Kisa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kisa

Is it normal to have people go to muches alone? Or is it generally like a couples thing? (New to a city, boo!)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Kinky Newbie
Straight - Male - Switch

Feudal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
Is it normal to have people go to muches alone? Or is it generally like a couples thing? (New to a city, boo!)
Its completely normal to go alone (at least to the two regular munches I've been to there have been plenty of single folks, both male and female). My suggestion is that if you've found a munch that you'd like to attend but you're feeling a touch nervous about going alone, then just get in touch with the organiser(s) and let them know that you are interested.

They will almost certainly have a plan to put you at your ease...often they'll suggest arriving a little earlier to meet them and they will act as "chaperone" for you and introduce you to some trusted and well known fellow muchees to ease you into things. Unless otherwise advertised, the munches I've been to tend to be much like an after-work drink with friends - only the conversations can be much more interesting!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Kink Talk Member
Bisexual - Female - Dominant

Mistress_Lucie is on a distinguished road

I'm involved in the running of the munch in Newcastle upon Tyne in the north east of England (both LadyLomion and TensionRoom101 are regulars!) and to address this very issue we introduced the 'newbie half hour' immediately before the munch.

This gives newbies, scene virgins and those unsure if they want to put their toes in the water to come along, meet other newcomers before the regulars arrive, and even scarper if they've decided it's not for them.

However lots, and I do mean lots, come on their own.

Lucie xoxo
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Kinky Newbie
Bisexual - Female - Switch

maria435 is on a distinguished road

Good to know so much about munchs...As a newbie , I surely have tons of learning to do...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Kinky Newbie
Bisexual - Female - Submissive

subgirl is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new to the website and it's great to see this kind of help as I'm looking for a munch local to Birmingham though I still need to find the courage to actually attend ... smh
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Kinky Newbie
Bisexual - Male - Private

bikerguy302000 is on a distinguished road

A good place to look for local events and munches is www.fetlife.com
Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Kinky Newbie
Bisexual - Male - Switch

greeneyedkitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLomion View Post
A munch is a meeting of local pervs, kinksters and fetishists in a vanilla setting- normally a pub in the UK- and intended as a stepping stone into the fetish/BDSM scene in that area. The dress is usually normal clothes (not fetish), and there is no play involved. It is just a chance to meet local people in a safe, non-committal environment. You'll meet people of all ages and persuasions, from hardcore Master/slave couples, through proDommes, retailers and manufacturers of toys and equipment (such as myself), club organisers like TensionRoom101 to the curious, those just starting out, or those who are simply kinky in the privacy of their own homes. Although things like under25 or over35 munches are designed to accommodate people in a particular age bracket, where these are run they are normally in conjunction with a more generic munch too.

Munches are usually the most likely the best place to find out about the scene in your area- but how do you find out about the munches to start off with? Increasingly Fetlife is a good website to use to get the info, or InformedConsent in the UK is good.

Your local fetish club may also have a website- here in the north east of England the Tension Fetish Club website has most information about our scene and the associated munches.

Lis x
I was actually wondering for places I could potentially meet other kinky people in and although i knew they existed I didn't know the name or where to find them. This is a great post, thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Senior Kink Talk Member
Straight - Male - Switch

duskiy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to duskiy

the topic is 1 year old. You would better open a new thread and ask about, with your current personal thoughts.
Limits: CBT, body mods and not healthy ideas, public, family, outdoor.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Senior Kink Talk Member
Straight - Male - Switch

Jay001 is on a distinguished road

I've moved to Northern Ireland and is there any about there?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 AM
Kinky Newbie
Bisexual - Female - Slave

covinelisa is on a distinguished road

Hey Jay If you're looking for Sex Equipment, Bondage, Sex Gear tutorials I'd recommend this page [http://rekink.com/forum/equipment/]Sex Equipment, Bondage[/url] and [http://rekink.com/gear/]Sex Gear[/url]