Couple needing help re-establishing Power dynamic

King-in-Carcosa

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Dec 17, 2023
Hoping some folks in here have some good advice.
I'll provide the high-level story and then fill in the details and highlight them as needed.

My wife and I have been married for 15 years and at the beginning of our relationship, the power dynamic was great.
She would willingly give control and trust and things were fine. A lot of real-life things (some within our control, others not) ending up wrecking it for us. We became cold towards each other and she became mean due to her needs not being met. We have been the farthest thing from a D/s relationship for so long.

We have a hard time loving and trusting and accepting each other now. We both want that dynamic back because it is massively important to her, but everything feels off and strange. We fight a lot about a wide range of things, but ultimately love each other.

We don't want to divorce, but are both having trouble dealing with our emotions when it comes to reconnecting on this level.

Has anyone out there dealt with this?

King-in-Carcosa

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Dec 17, 2023
So we try to do those things with each other, but it feels more like the patience and understanding only comes from me. Her behavior contradicts her desires. She wants me to "own" and "control" her again but she is literally verbally, emotionally, and mentally abusive to me. It's like she has the playbook to do everything to me that makes me NOT want to be this way with her and then expects me to just serve it up. I am lonely and feel unloved and feel like I can't be what she needs because of it.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

subtlizer

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Aug 23, 2020
Why don't you go for a tour, may be spending few days together without worrying about other things, will help heal the gap, you can't just have power dynamic from the same point as before, you need to make her feel that you can be good and trustworthy enough to let down her guards.

RedSector

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jun 29, 2022
Victoria Australia
We don't want to divorce, but are both having trouble dealing with our emotions when it comes to reconnecting on this level.

Kinda guessing here... anyway

I think you need to deal with underlining issue(s) the time has heaped upon you both. I would recommend you both read about active listing skills; example https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/active-listening-skills or https://www.thebalancemoney.com/active-listening-skills-with-examples-2059684 and then have an open-ended communication about all the things that lead to problems and/or circular fights, raised emotions, everything that has hurt or still hurts. Really air it and listen to each other. You both appear not to want an end, and that's special enough to fight for through really listening to each other.

I think it is important not to fall into the trap of arguing the points again or going over old ground to change the view. The purpose is to validate each other feelings, the things you left unsaid or didn't bring up, even you don't agree, find new understanding for the other person's point of view in these moments.

I think it's best to put sex on the side, while you work through this, allow it to build a little tension and be the feel good for you both at the end. When you have worked it through and agree, you have made ground.

Not sure how long this might take, 15 years is a lot of time together. I have 13 years with my partner and can take us hours on one circular argument on average to find a new way forward. If this serves as any guide, YMMV.

When you have done this and both parties feel heard, you have the chance to then look at the bedroom dynamics in the same light, and if you got through the circular arguments that all couples have, without falling into the rabbit hole... You will be able to repair this to what you both want and need.

Don't expect to be instant fix, it takes time and commitment, you have 15 years together, if this took a week, it's nothing in the scheme of things.

Other things they might help or may already know
If doing a Briggs-Myers test, remember you're answering this for home and how you behave there, as you may answer differently for work, etc.

The above two tests are about understanding yourself and significant other, it gives insight to how you each deal and what is your basic needs. The differences are as important, as the things that match.

We became cold towards each other and she became mean due to her needs not being met.
I'm suspecting this can't be fixed till the above is known, aired and new understanding or acknowledgement or knowledge is formed between you both. It's a symptom rather than the core issue.

Hope you find this useful.

Last edited:

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
I’ll do some digging but I know I saw a post very similar to this one that got some good answers. I’ll check through backlog when I get a chance

King-in-Carcosa

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Dec 17, 2023
Thank you all for the input!
@RedSector We know our love languages, and ironically enough, they're the two most opposing to each other. She is an acts of service (yet is a submissive... hmm) and I'm a words of affirmation yet am constantly talked down to. It's a vicious cycle.

RedSector

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jun 29, 2022
Victoria Australia
~imo

In my world, and to me, everything is energy, frequency, vibration and I can boil it down to just, electrical circuits you form with each other, that are connected through sex that we build up and expel into each other.

I see BDSM as the capacity to charge up these circuits before the main game. Vanilla people, have either perfect circuits or not able to take high charges prior, and all the kinks are dedicated circuits that are shortcuts, some people they are only circuit that works. Is it a spectrum of circuits.

I know sounds silly but have an Engineering background.

Anyway, let's try using love language wording,
Acts of service, will actually work both ways, when you read up about it, all you tend to hear about is you should do things for them to communicate you love them. While this true, what it fails to say is someone with Acts of Service, when they are full then they start using this for you and do these things for you too. This is how it can fit with a submissive, and this is really not unusual, to see this quality in them. Hopefully, you should be able to see how it fits a submissive profile. Love languages are cheat sheet to love, but don't determine D/s status of a person at all. You have to remember you go looking for love languages often when you hit the problem, not when you know how it runs when it's all working. To me, she is saying I have nothing to give, and that is fair. I'm sure you feel the same.

For yourself it's words of affirmation, and you give them, if you were getting them more easily than when you are not. Also, quite rare to see anyway with only love language, the first three typically matter.

You should also be aware, any true submissive are very far from weak, they are a powerful singular energy source, they understand that through their submission they can provide an energy into the relationship for the people in that relationship. Dominance is just the required opposing force (so pick one as the negative and the other as the positive in an electrical circuit, it really doesn't matter who is who, a circuit needs both). Neither work without the other, and some people carry both types of energy or any combination, are with circuits to receive these types of energy and/or provide it.

The D/s is the raw positive/negative energy forces.
The SM side could be said to be the intensity charge or capacity levels between the two.
The Kink side is dedicated circuits that are easily excited when charged, or they can be only circuits in existence.

The mix of what someone has is the uniqueness of them, and we are all very complex circuits.

A simple circuit connection, is deep enough, but vibration and frequency are conceptually important matters as well.

How often you require your circuits charged is frequency.
Vibration is the after effect of the connection you made, how full you are in love from the exchange. Love languages ~imo is about this and about creating desire for your main game. It's maintenance in the downtime.

Jumping back now to Love Languages, I really like the cup analogy that is often used, you're pouring water (love) into them by providing them acts of service. However, you're skipping that both of your cups have been sabotaged from life, mistakes, and time together, each having unresolved issues. These events put holes in your cups and make it extremely hard to feel full for long, no matter how much of the love languages you pour into it. The holes drain it.

So I'm saying you have to stop the connection (sex) and look at repairing the holes, using love language (typical analogues) or if I use my belief system, energy, frequency, and vibration. You need to repair the very circuits the energy travels on because the wiring itself has a high resistance, that is too high for the charge you provide to each other.

A flip of energy is a ~imo a warning sign, say if the submissive is 100%. Something would be super wrong, when in a natural state the circuit feeds only on the other type of energy. While these extreme circuits exist (and very glad they do), you need to consider it more like a protection mechanism within the circuits, when they are unable to accept the type of energy offered, they change their state. You either find you have other circuits that work, or both of you have a problem.

As said in my first post, you have to look at repairing the circuits, and communication is the key to that. I'm not going to pretend that it is easy. It is not, all you both can do is try.

Summary:-

Love languages are a way to increase vibration time in between connection of them, and however you choose to do it but when the circuits themselves are all resistive to the energy given, you have to repair. D/s is types of energy, one positive and other negative.

Using the circuits of connection or using broken circuits, with or without partial repair, leads to their failure. Most will read this as sex, and this may be correct.

Repair comes through working together through the list of issues using communication, and it may need new tools, such as active listening. Circuit repair can be done. Need to account for and repair the resistance in circuits. You may need to make new ones together.

Rabbit holes of circular argument where both have valid point(s) or strongly different views need to be understood fully by each and some form of repair done or acceptance done. Without entrenching your positions.

You have to find your way to 'Hell yes' again for connection of the circuits. You can't force that. It takes time and effort from you both. This is a powerful way to repairing things in meaningful ways, did I mention, no sex.

Sadly sometimes these circuits can't be repaired with each other, and this itself will cause each of you pain, it is the process of failure and pointless to assign blame. Love and Pain are the only true teachers in our lives, and each a polar opposite are important.

More sadly, is when two people accept this and still stay together, becoming further extreme to each other in the process.

I really wish you both, energy to find and fix the circuits.

I also hope making sense here for you or other readers, this is the first time I have put into words my belief system, and it is still evolving creature to put in words for me.

Last edited:

masterdragon

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Apr 4, 2011
I would suggest removing any kink related things for a while and any and all pressures or stresses related to it.

In long term relationships silly little things can build up other time and you both get in a rut and forget about the little things like

Talking just talking about nothing everything

Kisses for no reason

helping each around the the house

Or those little things you both do that drive the other nuts

No date nights

Taking each other for granted

And the list can go on

I’m in no way saying any of these are happening

Think about the things you both use to do when then were awesome they may seem so small and insignificant

Once you can at least be aware of the little that maybe missing

The gap should start to close and the kink BDSM will start to feel more natural like it use to

Featured Threads

New Personals