Ask the Doc!

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
A few days ago I had a pm from a member regarding a concern over how long it was safe to bind for, I have decided to use it as a prompt to start this new thread where you can ask questions mainly with regard to safe bdsm practices but also to call out anything stupid or dangerous.

Is it safe to be bound overnight?
In the instance I was messaged about the "dom" had instructed overnight binding which is really stupid and totally unsafe in any form.
Aside from the obvious issue of blood circulation, extended tight binding especially of arms or legs can lead to a condition called radial neuropathy. This is when a nerve becomes compressed for an extended period and can lead to serious issues, google "Saturday Night Palsy" if you want the full horrors of how easily this can happen even without bondage! Often this isn't directly caused by the binding but by the restricted movement it causes.
Bondage always requires careful, ongoing observation to ensure problems do not develop. All binding but especially bound breasts, wrists and ankles should be checked after 15 minutes and then every 5 minutes thereafter for signs of circulation issues. People who have type 2 diabetes should be especially careful as they have an increased risk of developing blood clots when blood flow is slowed. Keeping sessions around 20-30 minutes is usually safe but everyone responds differently and not everyone has the same level of tying skills. A badly placed knot or awkward position can accelerate problems hence the need for constant observation and for this reason alone any kind of overnight or sleeping bondage is a huge NO.

Last edited:

That_Guy_Again

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Aug 28, 2017
Excellent post, I hope people will take notice.

Would your assessment include loose fitting hand cuffs?

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Excellent post, I hope people will take notice.

Would your assessment include loose fitting hand cuffs?
Thanks!
I would advise against sleeping with any kind of binding more for the lack of options with regard to position and the risks of nerve compression but also as a general safety rule. Imagine some emergency happens at night, your house catches fire or there is an intruder. If you're bound or restricted in any way you are far more at risk than you otherwise would be.

In general though cuffs are better for longer bondage times as they can restrict you without fear of cutting off circulation to the same degree. It is also possible to learn the correct rope binding methods that will do the same, basically it requires being able to secure using multiple wraps of looser rope, I may cover this technique sometime soon.

Reactions: That_Guy_Again

Featured Threads

New Personals