Do you need to serve to be served?

artificer

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jun 7, 2020
Hey all, so I am new to the world of kink and I have a potentially slave interested in me. However, someone has mentionned to me that I would need to serve to be served. What are your thoughts?

Clarification, I am communicating and trying to learn about my potential before doing anything but I obvoiusly want both of us to have a good time. People can tend to be abusive to them, which I don't tend to agree with

poetrylover828

<<::: Verified :::>> Panda ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Aug 19, 2017
You don’t need to be someone’s sub first to be a good dominant. But things like feeling what being tied up is like or having a flogger used on you isn’t a bad idea.

As long as you are learning all you can about different dynamics and keeping communication open you will be good. The communication side is super important. Start off asking them what they want in a dom (strict rules for everything, sensual dom who focuses on how things feel, or a more caregiver styled dom are a few examples). Also start figuring out what you want from a sub as well.

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
I'm not sure who "them" is referring to when you say people can be abusive.

So traditionally in kink days of old, mainly in leather communities it was fairly common to start off as an S type and work your way up. There are benefits to this method however its not entirely necessary in my opinion. Forcing one to take on a sub role just to get the understanding is pretty extreme and just as most people who are full sub aren't comfortable being the Dom role it works both ways so why would one who's strictly dom want to sub? Now what was suggested above is great advice. I follow a similar practice as well. Testing out ties, floggers, canes, chem play, clamps, wax, (wax is a huge one for safety) etc. Lots of things you need to develop a feel for so that you can do it properly and not injure the one you're with. Also making sure to test things on same parts that you plan on using your S type. For example me hitting my hand is far different from her inner thigh. This helps keep you aware and the sub safer.
Now, do you need to do anal on yourself to understand how it works? Well no not really but you should get advice from those more experienced both D and S side through the way of forums like this, mentors, demo nights at local clubs, other resources. Be informed, do research, and be man enough to say "I don't know or I need help"> Ultimately your sub is your responsibility to care for and keep safe, she needs to be aware of the risks yes, but times of subspace will make it very hard for her to make that call and at that point its all you having to know whats best in the situation.

Anything unfamiliar or "first times" for you both take very slow. Better to build up slow and safe than end up injured. Seen way too many new subs taken advantage of and injured. Impact done wrong injury, anal too fast too much and soft tissue torn, waxplay burns and melted skin , lots of nasy things come from lack of knowledge.

Good on you for asking like you did, be one of the ones who comes out as a "good dom"

Reactions: poetrylover828

Magnetic

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 19, 2016
Hey all, so I am new to the world of kink and I have a potentially slave interested in me. However, someone has mentionned to me that I would need to serve to be served. What are your thoughts?

Nonsense! It is not even expected in part of the mainstream public, that usually gets everything wrong. See, for example, the first installment of the "50 Shades of Grey" saga. When Christian told Anastasia how he used to be a sub, she reacted by saying (something of the sort of): "I am surprised! I cannot see you as a sub."

Reactions: Tinkaranka

MaconMCModern

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Dominant
Oct 13, 2019
I have done that. I knew an online sub who put me in touch with a guy who was more dom but wanted to learn how to do it by being my sub first. I had him do various things on cam. Kicker is he was a baptist minister, not married. The way a lot of these things turn out is the sub doesn't really live up to being the best sub possible and after a lot of time invested in training, may bail.

Magnetic

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 19, 2016
I see.

However, OP literally asked "Do you need to serve to be served?"

While you can find people who choose to go that route, the answer to that question is undoubtedly and positively not. You can do it if you so choose, but if you don't, it's not like the cops are going to come banging your door to arrest you!

andrei

<:: Verified ::>
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Jan 9, 2008
Romania
I got the same response once: in order to be a good dominant you may need to know the feeling of being submissive. Dom-Sub relationships need a deep communication.

If you are using a whip you should know how it feels on you to use it right on another.

You don't want to be a bully to be dominant.

And if someone insists it can manage everything to be your slave think if you are prepared to be its domme or not. You don't need to be pushed, you need to find something in common. Know each other and go slowly.

Hope these answer your question.

Last edited:

Magnetic

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 19, 2016
I got the same response once: in order to be a good dominant you may need to know the feeling of being submissive. Dom-Sub relationships need a deep communication.

If you are using a whip you should know how it feels on you to use it right on another.

You don't want to be a bully to be dominant.

And if someone insists it can manage everything to be your slave think if you are prepared to be its domme or not. You don't need to be pushed, you need to find something in common. Know each other and go slowly.

Hope these answer your question.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. As a rule, you can empathize without having actually experienced what the other person is experiencing right now.

MaconMCModern

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Dominant
Oct 13, 2019
one person seems to find fault with everything everyone says here. You can choose to become a better dom by training as a sub. Some doms have a submissive streak anyway in them. Some start out as a sub and go on to be a dom and some doms decide they'd rather be that submissive little ho.

I agree with what another poster said, if you're going to whip someone, know what it feels like. Recently got a riding crop and tested it out lightly on myself. That can hurt. A dom needs to act with precision and not a "one size fits all" approach. You can do that but it's like buying a one size fits all shirt from walmart. You don't want to be a walmart dom.

NaturallyCurious

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Nov 3, 2017
Lafayette, LA
Kink is meant to be customizable within a few hard and fast rules that mostly exist for safety reasons. That being said, not everyone will have the same journey. Some people are better D types because they were an S type. Others absolutely refuse to be an S type because they have no shred of submissive tendencies in them.

Back in the Old Guard days of the Leather lifestyle, you started off as an s type and were mentored by subs of the house and by the Master of the house.

Most ProDommes are trained to bottom before they are allowed to Top. Not everyone has the same beliefs, so not everyone will start as an s type.

Featured Threads

New Personals