Does the 80-20 rule apply to BDSM?

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
According to the 80-20 Rule a.k.a the Pareto Principle, 80% of the effects/results come from 20% of the causes/efforts.

Do you derive 80% of your satisfaction from 20% of your top kinks or toys and if yes, which ones?
Do 80% of the subs get attracted to 20% of the top/best Dom/mes? Or do 80% of the Dom/mes pursue 20% of the top/best subs?
Now this one is controversial, but if you are polyamorous, does 80% of your quality time come from only 20% of your partners?
And this is just for fun, Do 80% of the bruises come from only 20% of the hits in impact play?..lol

Please enrich this discussion with your personal experiences and views on this topic.
Also feel free to debate on the questions above that are relevant to you.
Further what other aspects of BDSM and the kink world do you think the pareto principle can apply to?

pareto1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
I would say they come from even less than 20% of the active members based on my observations
Very true, but then this principle was proposed in the late 1800's I think when things were somewhat different and while based on some good general observation of natural phenomena was principally concerned with wealth distribution in Europe (or maybe just Italy?) being something like 80/20. Of course thats now more like 999/1, or right, similar to the participation ratio here, lol...

Sorry to be flippant on what is actually quite an interesting topic.

I would certainly agree that for me 20% of my kinks consume 80% of my kink time, that being breast bondage and gyno/medical play. The others are there but definitely take a background or supporting role to my primary activities.
It would also be a good approximation of the time I spend with my sub acquaintances, I would say there are a special few who get 80% of my attention.
I'm going to have to have a think about how much this extends to...

Edit** I recall now I mentioned recently in another post that weight loss is generally accepted as 80% diet and 20% exercise, although I'm not sure how that fits?

Last edited:
Reactions: nina

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
A funny one that came to my mind

80% of the online trolling is done by only 20% users in any given online platform.. don't know if it's true but seems so..lol

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Oh how about using 20% of your toys/gear 80% of the time?
I know for me I have a ton of stuff but always seem to be using the same few things, ropes, clamps etc every time.

Reactions: nina

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
Can 20% increase in encouragement of your efforts in terms of responses lead to 80% increase in your motivation to post more wrt kinktalk:)

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
Ok got another one

Can 20% extension in denial period cause 80% increase in desperation and anticipation levels?

Featured Threads

New Personals