I'm (not) in a bind(, yet...)

AmvetSB

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Apr 21, 2019
I'm having a hell of a time trying to BUY something that SHOULD exist! Everywhere I look, it's missing this or that or just costs WAY too much...
I want to find an all-in-one, web-accessible controller, with built in 'controls' and relays... This is for a previously discussed invention that I want to build, but this element is the 'key' to making any of it work. It needs to be simple enough to send the url or ip address for someone else to go to and be able to click something like a button to change the state of a relay. Not a bunch of code or strings of information, just turn something off or on. This should not be all that complicated! I'd REALLY like to eventually build something, but not today. Today, I want the wheel without having to reinvent it!
Quick fix that I have been able to come up with is enabled http access to a router that has USB ports on it, remote person has access to it, they can navigate to a setting that can 'power cycle usb', the usb power output has a relay attached to it that is energized by the USB power, so, it can change states when the usb power is dropped... It works, but is still too damned complicated! I could line up a dozen of these routers, each 'controlling' a different function, but there lies the insane complicated mess! I could even send an html page that sends API commands to each of the routers to 'manage' the relays, but this really lacks the style and intent behind a simple solution... A single relay could work for something basic. I want to eventually find something with multiple relays, like 4, 8, or even more, and some perhaps with 'dimmer' or 'motor control' functionality.. The end purpose would be to set up restraints (and perhaps other things) that can be remotely 'controlled' or operated. For instance, using an electrically energized magnet to 'hold' keys out of reach, while self-bound, and a person on the other end could release them 'early' by dropping power to the magnet. The power would be already set to shut off by a timer and other safety items like smoke alarm, etc., but otherwise, actually being stuck until one of these triggers the release, OR remotely 'given freedom'.... There are zillions of possibilities for how this will be used, BUT, it still needs to be SIMPLE to operate.
SO, previously discussed in other threads are a Raspberry Pi or similar 'controller' with an arduino board attached with relay board(s) attached, etc... That's down the road, but still, never has anyone given me a shopping list for exactly what to obtain to piece something like this together!
SO, back to the point... Anyone ever find something like this that has actually used it? Costing less than US$100 with hopefully some really snazzy options?

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Sounds like all you need is something basic like this,
https://ebay.us/R5oJcH
s-l1600.jpg

This is a 12V IoT (Internet of Things) app controlled 4 relay board. For around $12 it will allow you to turn on and off the 4 relays using a phone app so anyone you want to control your device just needs the app.
There are hundreds of these cheap IoT devices around, basically designed for home automation that can be easily adapted to what you need. No programming required, they just work.

AmvetSB

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Apr 21, 2019
I've looked at those, they have a wireless thing that your phone connects to and an app on the phone controls it. Those are a dime a dozen. This thing I'm looking for has to have it's own built in web-interface and guts... Not requiring a smartphone or computer to run it...

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
You do realise that the control is web based and not just within your wifi network right? Anyone anywhere with the app can control those devices.
If you want a micro web server then you are onto arduino or raspberry pi or a mini PC even. Have you look at stick PC's, there are loads of those for sub $100?

AmvetSB

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Apr 21, 2019
You do realise that the control is web based and not just within your wifi network right? Anyone anywhere with the app can control those devices.
If you want a micro web server then you are onto arduino or raspberry pi or a mini PC even. Have you look at stick PC's, there are loads of those for sub $100?
Again, the NIC, the controller, the relays, and the web 'server' all need to be self-contained, not all separate components.. I know they exist, just average $150 for something that is far from idiot proof, to over $300 for something that fits what I 'am' looking for, but too high a price....

Featured Threads

New Personals