Submissive isn't a word to use lightly

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
I never “decided" to be submissive. I “am" submissive. It's not a choice for me. It's part of my identity and has been since I was a lot younger.
Its easy for anyone to say "I'm a submissive" but then they run a mile when things get heavy. People in the "vanilla" world don't understand it from in our perspectives they've seen the ridiculous movies like fifty shades and think I can do that its easy.

I imagine that anyone outside of the BDSM lifestyle, especially those who don’t practice Dominance and submission look at those of us on the inside as strange creatures from another planet
Actually, I’d say they look at submissives that way. Dominants make more sense, don’t they? Dominants are in control and have all the power. They get what they want, when they want it.
What does a submissive get out of any of it, other than kinky sex*?

People on the outside looking in on any dynamic, relationship, lifestyle, or situation only see what’s on the surface. In this case, a strong Dominant standing over a kneeling, naked submissive. He’s in charge. He’s powerful, and she’s weak.
I guess that’s what it would look like from the outside. But, as with most things, that view doesn’t consider the thoughts, emotions, feelings, conversations, negotiations, and inner voices that guide all of us.

A submissive is given a command by their Dominant. What does it mean? What is it for? Is a Dom just a power-hungry bully and is a submissive weak-willed and simpering with no thoughts of their own? Every command should have a purpose – from kinky fun to something deeper. A submissive’s willingness to comply can come from multiple places.
“Spread your legs. Don’t move.”
That moment could be a spanking or a bit of kinky fun. The submissive wants the release of endorphins and the pain. The Dominant wants to exert ultimate control and make physical, mental, and emotional contact with their partner. At the same time, maintaining a position keeps them both safe from accidental harm. One wrong angle, and real damage can be done when partners play rough. It’s a power play, a means to a kinky end, and a safety measure.

Look at it from a different perspective, though. That moment could be a test of wills. A Dominant places their submissive into a position and expects them to maintain it until they release them. Let’s be real, if they weren’t willing, they could walk away at any moment. The reasons a submissive maintains that position vary: they’re turned on by pleasing their Dominant; they’re stubborn and refuse to falter before their Dom gives the word; they know that compliance will yield a greater prize later. Who knows what a particular sub’s reasons might be, but none of them are based on weakness. Their own integrity keeps them in place, regardless of any other reason.

Submission isn’t a two-dimensional act done by an unthinking robot or a weak-willed person who requires guidance to get through their day and life. No, submission requires thought, consent, and integrity, as well as the understanding that there’s a reason for everything that happens.

D/s is both simple and complex. Simply put, it’s a power exchange between two willing partners. The Dominant makes the rules, sets the course, and takes on the responsibility of the care of another human being. Submissives follow the rules, serve their Dominant, and should provide constant feedback in the form of continued consent, safe words, and sharing their thoughts and feelings about the experiences they’re having. Each has their part to play, and both have their own kind of power. There is no D/s without both partners willingly engaging – they’re equal but different.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
This is a great post @submissivegal87, well done!

You've raised some great points and given some really useful insights that will no doubt resonate with other subs who perhaps haven't got to the same place of understanding you've reached.

I have always maintained that the core to any good D/s relationship is the mental aspect and for two way respect to be built enabling trust and understanding. Respect is a very misunderstood concept, it is not something that can be demanded, it is earned through action and deeds.

It would seem you've also described really well that in D/s there really isn't a power exchange at all. The surrender of control by a submissive to her Dominant does not diminish her power it enhances it, internalizing it as the strength to complete tasks others would simply give up on. And it's seeing that inner strength in action that, for me at least, engenders deep respect for my subs.

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
@droptokon I'm currently doing a course on relationships and domestic violence and one of the girls brought up as she called it "Fifty shades stuff" (Hmm the less said about that part the better) and was saying that the whole aspect of it would be violence.
Obviously me being a submissive got on the defensive saying wait hold on a minute do you actually know any thing about the dynamics or do you just see it as the the control and pain factor. Obviously I wasn't going to say I am a submissive lets talk this through. But it did make me think long and hard and come up with that. I just hope it helps others.

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Merlin

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Staff member
Jan 9, 2008
Germany
@droptokon I'm currently doing a course on relationships and domestic violence and one of the girls brought up as she called it "Fifty shades stuff" (Hmm the less said about that part the better) and was saying that the whole aspect of it would be violence.
Obviously me being a submissive got on the defensive saying wait hold on a minute do you actually know any thing about the dynamics or do you just see it as the the control and pain factor. Obviously I wasn't going to say I am a submissive lets talk this through. But it did make me think long and hard and come up with that. I just hope it helps others.
It is just a concept hard to understand for someone not into it, It is a hard concept if you just look at it from the outside
That said 50 shads portraits more an abusive relationship than a healthy D/s dynamic, as the Author seams to be one of the people that don't understand someone submitting without physiological manipulation.

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
It is just a concept hard to understand for someone not into it, It is a hard concept if you just look at it from the outside
That said 50 shads portraits more an abusive relationship than a healthy D/s dynamic, as the Author seams to be one of the people that don't understand someone submitting without physiological manipulation.
I couldn't agree more

J91

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Private
Nov 22, 2015
UK
Great post @submissivegal87, I think where I have struggled in relationships previously is because my partners and/or play partners haven't fully understood that being submissive is not just limited to sexual play, but actual is a very prominent characteristic of my personality which manifests and represents itself in everyday situations but also affects how I tend to communicate.

I have also found myself pushing at the boundaries to test if my play partner really understands just how submissive I am naturally. A huge character flaw of mine is that I find it very difficult to initiate these types of conversations and rely on the Dominant to. Communication is such an important aspect, D/s relationships come in all shapes and sizes after all.

I have recently seen a lot of talk about 'love language' in relationships, meaning, exactly how does one person want to be treated and shown love and affection in a relationship. I do think this is important as a submissive, well for both partners really. How exactly does a submissive wish to show his/her devotion and contribute to the relationship? And vice-versa. I do wish more people were comfortable having these types of conversations.

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
@J91 Me and my owner talk about things going on in my life and he has supported me through more stuff than he probably realizes. I find that it is important to be able to talk to your Dominant as he is just a normal guy not just someone that is in control in your dynamic.

Yes I even flirt with him but in my defense he is rather hot and I am a red blooded female after all! (He will probably have something to say about that now) but it is important that you have got some kind of connection because the things people in our lifestyle get up to with each other can be dangerous and you both need to know each other enough and trust each other other to be able to keep it safe.

Unless you are a robot I find it hard to believe that there can be a D/s relationship without any kind of feelings towards the other part whether you are the Dominant or the submissive.

I have said in the past these are my opinions and everyone has the right to them. If people disagree with what I have said at any point please comment or send me a message and I will gladly have a discussion with you about it.

J91

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Private
Nov 22, 2015
UK
@submissivegal87 you are so very fortunate to be with someone who does support you this way and it most definitely is refreshing to hear. After all, a D/s dynamic is still a relationship that needs to withstand the ups and downs of daily life and normality beyond kink.

I completely agree about the development of feelings. In such an intense and intimate dynamic, it is very hard not to develop feelings, and in my experience this type of closeness makes for the most fulfilling and successful relationships.

I think expressing feelings and opinions on this matter is healthy and the chance for a good honest debate is fantastic. For me personally, it helps me process how I feel about it all as I dont have any IRL people I feel comfortable talking to this about...!

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
@J91 if you ever want to discuss anything you can always message me on here.. If I cant help I can always get another subs input as well because my sister is also one lol. Yes we have a strange family lol. Her relationship with her Dom developed over time into one with "love feelings" which at first I didn't understand but they are now expecting there first child together and couldn't be happier.

• Love
Reactions: J91

Magnetic

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 19, 2016
@submissivegal87 It really drives me nuts whenever anyone in the know compares "50 Shades of Grey" with a Dom-Sub relationship. It most definitely is not.

Anastasia simply did not understood what involved being as sub on the first movie. At the very end, when she finally understood it, she run for her life!

On the second and third movies, she proceed to topping from the bottom.

Thus, she NEVER really gave herself as a sub to Christian. She was never really his sub.

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
@submissivegal87 It really drives me nuts whenever anyone in the know compares "50 Shades of Grey" with a Dom-Sub relationship. It most definitely is not.

Anastasia simply did not understood what involved being as sub on the first movie. At the very end, when she finally understood it, she run for her life!

On the second and third movies, she proceed to topping from the bottom.

Thus, she NEVER really gave herself as a sub to Christian. She was never really his sub.
I never said she was a sub. I like the movies yes but i know how wrong they are.

Reactions: Magnetic

Magnetic

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jul 19, 2016
That might be true, however... Everybody in the entire world (exept for those in the BDSM scene) mistakenly identify her as one! Let's face it, even you used her as an example of a sub in your otherwise excellent discussion...

submissivegal87

Super Kinky
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jul 22, 2020
Manchester
That might be true, however... Everybody in the entire world (exept for those in the BDSM scene) mistakenly identify her as one! Let's face it, even you used her as an example of a sub in your otherwise excellent discussion...
If you read the post properly you would see that I did not use her as an example.

Fiery Bird

Verified Phoenix
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
Dec 3, 2020
But did Anastasia really understand the concept of what being a submissive is really about in the first book? All she knew was what Christian told her and infatuation and naivety blinded her completely to try to at least check out a few of the things he told her about online. The guy was fucked up as a so called Dominant, a lot of things he did were a no no especially to someone who had never even heard of things he was talking about. He himself had no concept about what being a Dominant is really all about. How can he possibly then impart anything positive to the poor girl who just wanted to be loved in return?

And I agree with everything you said submissivegal87 about submission. I personally deeply believe it comes from a place of deep strength. It gives me so much joy when a submissive gives himself to me fully and completely, trusting me to care of him. Now THAT takes a lot of strength and it’s something I treasure and never take for granted.

Great post by the way.

Last edited:

andrei

<:: Verified ::>
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Jan 9, 2008
Romania
I just see it simple: I am fond of BDSM and love to read or watch but what role would I practice? I like to be submissive (not slave), feel good to be sexually ordered, but I don't feel horny or ever excited in controlling anyone.

Fiery Bird

Verified Phoenix
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
Dec 3, 2020
It may seem simple to you andrei but not everyone is the same especially those new into this. There are those who are submissive or/and Dominant in the BDSM way but don’t even know it and when some of them eventually get in the know of it, they rebel and are in denial.

Those you are talking about have already gone a certain way and dug a bit further within themselves in their journey and they feel comfortable enough to begin to decide such things.

Not everyone is the same.

Last edited:

andrei

<:: Verified ::>
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Jan 9, 2008
Romania
It may seem simple to you andrei but not everyone is the same especially those new into this. There are those who are submissive or/and Dominant in the BDSM way but don’t even know it and when some of them eventually get in the know of it, they rebel and are in denial.

Those you are talking about have already gone a certain way and dug a bit further within themselves in their journey and they feel comfortable enough to begin to decide such things.

Not everyone is the same.
you are right and I was in a hurry. I see it simply about me, not everyone else.
I am not living a D/S relationship but I had my moments when I found that taking orders (even chores) made me feel excited I was under her feet. A little bit of online play made me feel the same. Like when someone orders I am under a hypnotic spell. Of course I have trust issues so I don't do it with anyone.
Also I tried to be dominant before but I felt bored from start. Online. And in bed we just started laughing and quit the idea. But this is just me.

Stephanie Mason

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
May 27, 2021
Canada
smfeetfet.com
I never “decided" to be submissive. I “am" submissive. It's not a choice for me. It's part of my identity and has been since I was a lot younger.
Its easy for anyone to say "I'm a submissive" but then they run a mile when things get heavy. People in the "vanilla" world don't understand it from in our perspectives they've seen the ridiculous movies like fifty shades and think I can do that its easy.

I imagine that anyone outside of the BDSM lifestyle, especially those who don’t practice Dominance and submission look at those of us on the inside as strange creatures from another planet
Actually, I’d say they look at submissives that way. Dominants make more sense, don’t they? Dominants are in control and have all the power. They get what they want, when they want it.
What does a submissive get out of any of it, other than kinky sex*?

People on the outside looking in on any dynamic, relationship, lifestyle, or situation only see what’s on the surface. In this case, a strong Dominant standing over a kneeling, naked submissive. He’s in charge. He’s powerful, and she’s weak.
I guess that’s what it would look like from the outside. But, as with most things, that view doesn’t consider the thoughts, emotions, feelings, conversations, negotiations, and inner voices that guide all of us.

A submissive is given a command by their Dominant. What does it mean? What is it for? Is a Dom just a power-hungry bully and is a submissive weak-willed and simpering with no thoughts of their own? Every command should have a purpose – from kinky fun to something deeper. A submissive’s willingness to comply can come from multiple places.
“Spread your legs. Don’t move.”
That moment could be a spanking or a bit of kinky fun. The submissive wants the release of endorphins and the pain. The Dominant wants to exert ultimate control and make physical, mental, and emotional contact with their partner. At the same time, maintaining a position keeps them both safe from accidental harm. One wrong angle, and real damage can be done when partners play rough. It’s a power play, a means to a kinky end, and a safety measure.

Look at it from a different perspective, though. That moment could be a test of wills. A Dominant places their submissive into a position and expects them to maintain it until they release them. Let’s be real, if they weren’t willing, they could walk away at any moment. The reasons a submissive maintains that position vary: they’re turned on by pleasing their Dominant; they’re stubborn and refuse to falter before their Dom gives the word; they know that compliance will yield a greater prize later. Who knows what a particular sub’s reasons might be, but none of them are based on weakness. Their own integrity keeps them in place, regardless of any other reason.

Submission isn’t a two-dimensional act done by an unthinking robot or a weak-willed person who requires guidance to get through their day and life. No, submission requires thought, consent, and integrity, as well as the understanding that there’s a reason for everything that happens.

D/s is both simple and complex. Simply put, it’s a power exchange between two willing partners. The Dominant makes the rules, sets the course, and takes on the responsibility of the care of another human being. Submissives follow the rules, serve their Dominant, and should provide constant feedback in the form of continued consent, safe words, and sharing their thoughts and feelings about the experiences they’re having. Each has their part to play, and both have their own kind of power. There is no D/s without both partners willingly engaging – they’re equal but different.
Beautiful. I am Dominant because I know I can't handle not being in control. I have always admired the strength of a submissive to be able to trust so fully and let go. How liberating it must feel. I am not strong enough or brave enough to submit. I need to be control. Thank you for sharing

Reactions: submissivegal87

Fiery Bird

Verified Phoenix
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
Dec 3, 2020
you are right and I was in a hurry. I see it simply about me, not everyone else.
I am not living a D/S relationship but I had my moments when I found that taking orders (even chores) made me feel excited I was under her feet. A little bit of online play made me feel the same. Like when someone orders I am under a hypnotic spell. Of course I have trust issues so I don't do it with anyone.
Also I tried to be dominant before but I felt bored from start. Online. And in bed we just started laughing and quit the idea. But this is just me.

Fair enough andrei. Good to see you’ve figured out some important things about yourself and accepted them as who you are.

Featured Threads

New Personals