Temperament and Orientation

Which of the following temperaments & roles do you most strongly relate to? Multiple choices allowed

• Total voters

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
Quite some time back I posted a thread Are you an alpha or a beta person in real life?

This is somewhat a sequel to that thread but taking in the feedback that personalities are not as simple and binary and exploring further different temperaments and whether they reflect in our desired kink roles or not.

The four fundamental temperaments are Melancholic, Choleric, Phlegmatic and Sanguine. P and S exhibit emotional stability, C and S are extroverted while M and P are introverted types.

images

Ofcourse most people may be a combination of two or more types and I found the following psychometric test helpful to get a basic idea of your temperament.

Coming to the point of discussion, which temperament or combination of temperaments do you relate to? Does it influence your kink life, the role you take (D or s) or your ways in which you perform your role?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Very interesting, going to have to give this some thought!

The diagram could be looked at as a semiotic square, dating all the way back to the work of Aristotle. A nice way to look at things that exist in various forms of opposition.
An additional note, the opposite of stability is lability which I would posit is a more accurate descriptor than Emotional Sensitivity. In the context of the oppositions presented in the diagram which presents N- as Emotional Stability, N+ would be Emotional lability. This is not to be confused with "instability" which suggests a randomness but rather it would describe someone who's moods simply change frequently.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there, great topic.

Reactions: WolfShark and nina

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
The diagram was randomly taken from Google search and I don't know much about this, let us know of the more accurate descriptions, I just thought it would be interesting to have a discussion about the temperament types and ready to replace the diagram with more accurate info (but lazy to make a diagram myself)

Edit: changed the diagram, is this more accurate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
The diagram was randomly taken from Google search and I don't know much about this, let us know of the more accurate descriptions, I just thought it would be interesting to have a discussion about the temperament types and ready to replace the diagram with more accurate info (but lazy to make a diagram myself)

Edit: changed the diagram, is this more accurate?
My comments weren't meant in any way to be critical of what you posted.

The original diagram was actually fine, it was me being somewhat pedantic about the terminology. It isn't wrong and for many that may be a more sympathetic description anyway.
Semiotic squares are a great way to present these kind of relationships visually. The organization is nice as it makes it obvious that while some things can coexist, others are mutually exclusive. It's kind of neat little logical grid really.

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
My comments weren't meant in any way to be critical of what you posted.

The original diagram was actually fine, it was me being somewhat pedantic about the terminology. It isn't wrong and for many that may be a more sympathetic description anyway.
Semiotic squares are a great way to present these kind of relationships visually. The organization is nice as it makes it obvious that while some things can coexist, others are mutually exclusive. It's kind of neat little logical grid really.
Lol:) ok re-posted the original diagram in first post

honestly I am skeptical but curious of the theory myself, interested in knowing more about it and find your insights interesting and more sensible

Last edited:

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Its contentious for sure. This theory starts way back with Hippocrates and the "Four Humours" and has been fiddled with over the millennia until the "four temperaments" of modern, perhaps proto psychology?

Personally I find it very helpful, there are correlations in it's relationships that are really undeniable and observable in everyday life.

Reactions: nina

Featured Threads

New Personals