Where to now?

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Well it seems the kink world is losing a long time tool with kik being no more. So what are the realistic replacements and perhaps it might also be a good time to post any lessons learned from using kik?

What was good, what was bad, what to watch out for and what could be better if/when a replacement is found?

We also have had the jolt of losing most of our hosting of any kind of exposure kink due to threats of legal action so perhaps now is a good time to discuss new ideas and directions for Kink Talk.

Let us know what you think might work, what ideas you have especially if you are willing to jump in do some of the heavy lifting!

I don't think anyone wants to see Kink Talk disappear but with the demise of both kik and exposing things are going to get awful quiet, so come on and help build the post kik version of our community!

Reactions: Cstelle

Cstelle

<:: Verified ::>
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 7, 2015
Regarding the chat platform: KiK's big problem was (is! She may be coughing blood, but granny is still with us!) that it wasn't terribly crossplatform-y. I'm myself forced to cruise between Android, Linux, and Windows. For me the practical solution (which isn't very practical at all) involved using Dropbox as the connection. Then Dropbox limited the number of devices it could be used on for free, and things got really ridiculous...

Group creation and management I know nothing about, but I expect it to be the most important thing. After crossplatform-iness, of course. :sneaky:

People speak well of Telegram. And some swear Matrix is the thing.

Regarding changes caused by threats of legal action: Yoiks! I hope Kink Talk's legal counsel is up to the task! (It's a big thing that it had to change popular features!)

Reactions: Diff

puppetmaster

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 14, 2013
I've heard rumblings that this was likely coming and I guess today is the day.
I've used kik for the majority of my day to day communications with all of my slaves and slave candidates over the past 6 or so years.

My slave kat is panicking as we have been using kik from day one, and this will be a big change.

I'm looking at moving to discord since I know it's not going anywhere, I trust them, and there are a lot of kink servers to join, but I'll miss the simplicity of kik. I'm interested in any alternatives people are looking at.

Droptokon, are you asking because you're thinking about building something?

Quinn4fun

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Switch
Sep 26, 2019
FB messenger is pretty good , you know , and can use it without a FB account

puppetmaster

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 14, 2013
I just did some experimenting, Telegram ties everything (your username) to your phone number, so it's not a privacy-friendly alternative. I specifically didn't give it permissions/access to my contacts, yet someone I knew in rl immediately msged me and could see my username, so they obviously had my phone number in their contacts and got a notification. Good thing I didn't use a crazy/kink username for my test...

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
I've heard rumblings that this was likely coming and I guess today is the day.
I've used kik for the majority of my day to day communications with all of my slaves and slave candidates over the past 6 or so years.

My slave kat is panicking as we have been using kik from day one, and this will be a big change.

I'm looking at moving to discord since I know it's not going anywhere, I trust them, and there are a lot of kink servers to join, but I'll miss the simplicity of kik. I'm interested in any alternatives people are looking at.

Droptokon, are you asking because you're thinking about building something?
No, not developing anything we do have a private chat function on here now but that isn't exactly the simplest solution.
More I was hoping to preempt things by having a discussion to share experiences on other systems to hopefully save some time for others.

As discussed by others here Telegram is similar to Whatsapp in that it pulls phone number into the mix as do several others.
I have personally used the google chat (ex hangouts) and while it does work is somewhat more clunky.

So looks like the question is still open on this one.

submissive_s

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Oct 25, 2017
I have always used discord for messaging as it is completly anonymous. All you need is an email address to sign up.

zsadist

---verified---
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Apr 27, 2017
Netherlands
ive been using whatsapp for years.. and despite what it says.. never payed a dime for it..
ok.. im forced to use it for work etc as well. but its a decent replacement if it wasnt phonenumber based
not sure if they are still around.. but voxer or marco polo come to mind as well

marissa353

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Trans Woman
  • Submissive
Nov 6, 2016
Discord can be used for everything kik was used for and more. I highly recommend checking it out if you are left in the wind by kik.

That_Guy_Again

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Aug 28, 2017
Anyone have any opinions on Wire? It seems like it has good privacy and has the features that Kik has. It also does not require a phone number.
However I did see a vice article claiming that they store conversation data. Does anyone know if this still occurs.
I've also looked at Riot.im and Jami, but have downloaded neither. Does anyone have any opinions on them?

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
Line app works well and has decent encryption options also functions solely on screen names.
Im using that and telegram now. yes you have to give a phone number, they text you a verify code then you never use it again. You can also use the google phone number thing and use the cover number given so your real one isnt given out. Either way you have options to filter out all the privacy stuff so your phone contacts dont sync, your phone number isnt shown to any telegram contacts that you add. You have the option to allow them to see it if youd like. Read up on their FAQs section its really helpful and explains it all. The only thing im not sure of is whether you can tell a dif between live pics and gallery ones. I do know one level of their chat can alert you if someone saves or screenshots so thats a useful tool as well.

As far as kinktalk i think it will be active as people switch messengers and decide what the next kink app will be. Also i been gone was busy doing the real life thing for a bit, nice to see some good discussions again. Hope everyone is well.

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

keendude

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Dec 31, 2016
I'd say Wickr is the thing. It has encryption, high level of privacy and self extinguishing messages. I've used it a few times. Anybody else has? Should we promote it?

That_Guy_Again

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Aug 28, 2017
I'd say Wickr is the thing. It has encryption, high level of privacy and self extinguishing messages. I've used it a few times. Anybody else has? Should we promote it?

I have, but there is one huge problem. It is nigh on impossible to send videos. Their file size cap is very low, consequently you cant send anything more than a few seconds.
If sending videos is a not a concern then I would recommend it.

Reactions: keendude

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Line app works well and has decent encryption options also functions solely on screen names.
Im using that and telegram now. yes you have to give a phone number, they text you a verify code then you never use it again. You can also use the google phone number thing and use the cover number given so your real one isnt given out. Either way you have options to filter out all the privacy stuff so your phone contacts dont sync, your phone number isnt shown to any telegram contacts that you add. You have the option to allow them to see it if youd like. Read up on their FAQs section its really helpful and explains it all. The only thing im not sure of is whether you can tell a dif between live pics and gallery ones. I do know one level of their chat can alert you if someone saves or screenshots so thats a useful tool as well.

As far as kinktalk i think it will be active as people switch messengers and decide what the next kink app will be. Also i been gone was busy doing the real life thing for a bit, nice to see some good discussions again. Hope everyone is well.
Thanks for the info and run down on Telegram, I know it has good privacy options and is very secure so its a good pick as a possible replacement.

One big problem I always had with kik was that it was way too easy for people to create multiple accounts and use these for deceptive purposes or to evade bans etc. I will be curious to see if the eventual successor has the same flaw?

pioneer0799

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Sep 14, 2015
A problem I have found with Telegram, is that with public groups, anyone can look "inside" the group and see all that's been posted without even joining the group! Obviously this is a problem if you are posting adult or sensitive content. (also if someone does join the group, they can immediately scroll back and see all posts that were made even before they joined, can limit this somewhat, but still around 100 previous posts can be seen, again an issue with adult content)

You can make the group private, which stops this issue, but then how do you find new people? (if it's your group) or new adult groups? (if you don't know anyone in the groups)

Either will have to have a private group with a public "screening" group or have to advertise groups somewhere.
(similar issue with Discord, in terms of how do you find groups, there seems no easy search option)

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
most kik groups were the same they were public screening and private actual group room once passed vetting. However most groups grow through ads and promotion or friends of friends. I never found a kik group by way of the app search it self. instead ads usually here, fet, other sites, or whisper, chat rooms online etc.

i have found that in telegram anyone in chat can delete anyones posts from both sides. example person A and B in chat. person A posts message in chat between them. person B can delete the message from both parties ends so no one will see it. same for pics etc, have yet to try in a full group yet. so yeah its all got issues but idk the true path im chekcing lots and seeing where fellow kinksters end up.

Reactions: That_Guy_Again

kaylessa

Distinguished Member
  • Bisexual
  • Genderqueer
  • Switch
Jan 7, 2019
I love Jabber aka XMPP for being decentralized by design. Unfortunately only few people seem to like it.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
I love Jabber aka XMPP for being decentralized by design. Unfortunately only few people seem to like it.
My understanding is that XMPP is protocol rather than a system in itself, if I recall correctly Whatsapp uses XMPP as it messaging component?

Featured Threads