Where to now?

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
most kik groups were the same they were public screening and private actual group room once passed vetting. However most groups grow through ads and promotion or friends of friends. I never found a kik group by way of the app search it self. instead ads usually here, fet, other sites, or whisper, chat rooms online etc.

i have found that in telegram anyone in chat can delete anyones posts from both sides. example person A and B in chat. person A posts message in chat between them. person B can delete the message from both parties ends so no one will see it. same for pics etc, have yet to try in a full group yet. so yeah its all got issues but idk the true path im chekcing lots and seeing where fellow kinksters end up.
This seems like a fair comparison, certainly in terms of this discussion we are talking about a chat system that has private groups that would promote themselves here. That is a far better way than promoting kink groups on the platform as you say.

pioneer0799

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Sep 14, 2015
Another thing with all the other apps so far, none of them show the difference between taking a live pic, or posting a saved pic from your gallery unlike kik (Okay I know some people had found a way to fake kik live pics, but at least most were not) So you can't tell if something is being done "live" or just old pics been posted, or even just pics off the internet.
MeWe does have the "me" and "we" functions that take 3 quick pics and kind of makes a gif, so that I don't think can really be faked, so should be live, but no function like that for just a standard single picture.

Reactions: That_Guy_Again

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Another thing with all the other apps so far, none of them show the difference between taking a live pic, or posting a saved pic from your gallery unlike kik (Okay I know some people had found a way to fake kik live pics, but at least most were not) So you can't tell if something is being done "live" or just old pics been posted, or even just pics off the internet.
MeWe does have the "me" and "we" functions that take 3 quick pics and kind of makes a gif, so that I don't think can really be faked, so should be live, but no function like that for just a standard single picture.
Right, that was I think one of the best features kik has/had as it allowed a quick way to verify you were dealing with a real person and not a catfish.

And again here we are back at the main scourge of the kink world the fakes and catfish... sigh...

pioneer0799

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Sep 14, 2015
Kik are now saying they may have found a buyer for the app, not a done deal, but maybe kik can be saved.

Just have to hope that new owners (if it goes ahead) don't stop adult content and groups.

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

kaylessa

Distinguished Member
  • Bisexual
  • Genderqueer
  • Switch
Jan 7, 2019
My understanding is that XMPP is protocol rather than a system in itself, if I recall correctly Whatsapp uses XMPP as it messaging component?
I don't know if WhatsApp uses it, but I don't like WhatsApp at all... too much of facebook in it.

Diff

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Feb 19, 2020
Anyone have any opinions on Wire? It seems like it has good privacy and has the features that Kik has. It also does not require a phone number.
However I did see a vice article claiming that they store conversation data. Does anyone know if this still occurs.
I've also looked at Riot.im and Jami, but have downloaded neither. Does anyone have any opinions on them?
Wire has a lot of good features. It's got pings, doodle messages (on mobile, at least), typing indicators (again, only on mobile, for some incomprehensible reason), audio messages (on mobile, although uploading audio files on desktop works), supports uploading video and pictures, it supports voice and video calls. To this day my Domme and I use Wire for video calls. It's nice. The media searches are nice, the groups are nice. It's nice.

But it generally suffers from a lack of polish. Decrypting new messages is slow, and if you have a device that's been sleeping/turned off for a few hundred of em, you can be waiting a few minutes just for it to decrypt all of em and fully boot up. One kind of weird thing, it doesn't seem to be able to recover from an interrupted call. For like 10-20 seconds it'll make a beeping noise to let you know the connection was interrupted before ending it, but it never actually like. Recovers in those 10-20 seconds. It just beeps then ends the call. Which means the recipient has to stick around to accept a new call. On other platforms, other devices on your account can pull the call over to them, or leave and rejoin the call within a few minutes without it ending.

But generally speaking, it's good stuff. Domme and I used it for our daily communications for like a year. And while all the messages are E2E encrypted, only yours and the recipients' will ever see them, there's metadata that's unencrypted. I think stuff like message send times, the names of groups, stuff like that I believe.

Jami seemed less complete than Wire, and more confusing. Riot.im is much bigger, more IRC-like. There's also Jitsi which is pretty fantastic if your sole goal is spinning up quick video chats.

Featured Threads

New Personals