Who should ask for a date?

Wolfsister

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 18, 2008
www.illusionvale.forumotion.com
I've always been confused about this subject. Not that I need the information now, but I'm still curious. When it comes to wanting to date someone, should the woman or the man ask? I've always been an old fashioned type and waited for the man to do the asking (of course I'd drop hints) but these days it seems willy nilly. So... what are the Asking Rules?

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
Why should there be a rule? :) I think nowadays not only it's fine either for guys or girls to take the 1st step & ask but in my line of work (barmaid) I often notice that guys seem to like when girls do the asking.

I, too, have always been more "old-fashioned" about this so I can understand you. Not that I'm overly shy but I'm quite introverted & I guess that I always prefered for guys to ask because of my submissive nature as well.

I like the idea of sending hints though. Maybe if you happen to meet someone you find potentially interesting you can then simply talk with him & find any common ground. Then if you have an activity that you both enjoy (for ex. a sport you both like to practice, or both like picnics or whatever) you could always drop the idea to that person that you'd like to share this activity with them. It's not like flat out ask for a date but you still send the message that you'd like to get to know him better & if the feeling's mutual there's a high chance he'll invite you :) At least this has worked for me in the past ;)

depp

sysop
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Staff member
Nov 20, 2007
I've always been a very shy guy and heavy hinting has helped me in the past I must admit. :)

shinningstar

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 8, 2008
I'm a simple and practical woman. I'm not hypocrite. It's fine for me to ask a man to date me as long as we are both compatible and of the same taste. It's really good to be true.

Wolfsister

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 18, 2008
*thoughtful nod* yes, these answers pretty much echo what I was thinking. It seems that the 'rules of engagement' have long ago been put out to dry. But I'm still a romantic at heart and I love for men to take control. Sometimes, though, men just don't seem to get it and women need to give them that all important 'nudge'. :D

aika

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
May 20, 2008
England
My girl asked me out after I layed on all the hints I could.

It seems a lot more common especially for the under 21s nowadays for the girls to be the more confident ones that do the asking.

AlienMindsInc

Kink Talk Member
  • Gay
  • Male
  • Switch
May 25, 2008
Florida
I'd just like to point out to all of you "hinting" girls that there are a bunch of guys who will either be too afraid or too dimwitted to get it and ask.

Every day I go to lunch with a friend who flirts like crazy with waitresses. (Although I think, at this point, that it's entirely unintentional.) Occasionally he'll get a number with an odd remark like "if you ever have a group this big again *wink* call ahead." Usually he ends up remarking about how "nice" they are until I point out that there's only two of us and she's asking him to ask her out.

My point, don't wait for someone else to explain to the slow guy that you're interested, it isn't a bad thing for most guys to be asked out.

-M

green

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
May 23, 2008
Derby
www.lookitsme.co.uk
I have been asked out by a girl and it feels really good. But as most people may thing it should be the man asking the women. Its the polite way. But you do get alot of men who will ask one women out and some men may feel they dont have a chance. I think if you like someone then go for it either sex

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
I'd just like to point out to all of you "hinting" girls that there are a bunch of guys who will either be too afraid or too dimwitted to get it and ask.

I do not "hint" anymore since I've stopped dating a while ago but when I did, trust me, my hints were good enough to catch :) And if it happened that someone was too afraid or too dimwitted to get it then I knew I was hinting at the wrong tree...

I believe in acting naturally. If a girl feels comfortable enough to do the asking then fine. It was not fine for me because it's totally out of my character & would have only sent a wrong message to the recipient of the hinting from the start about myself & who I am truly. So, no, I don't think it's bad to ask. But I think it's bad to put on an act that's phony in order to get a date or anything else for that matter. People should be true to themselves first & foremost.

Simplyme

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 13, 2008
I agree that it varies depending on the people I neither think it is the man or womans place to ask. But I sure as heck would not be waiting for someone else to make the first move. Good way to lose what you want.

Wolfsister

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 18, 2008
I waited forever for people to ask me. I was the waiting type, to be honest. Then again, when ever I had the courage to ask in the first place, I was shot down. And this wasn't some times... it was every single time.

But I got over my insecurities and now I'm living a very comfortable and lovely life with my man. I can't remember who asked who, but it just happened. And that's the good part :D

rumen

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jun 11, 2008
Well, the guy should go first most of the time, but there isn't a fixed rule to keep. I think it depends on who is more shy :) Women tend to be more direct anyway.

sweetvtmom

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jun 12, 2008
I think the world is to small and time moves to fast--if you see something you like (man or woman) just go for it---it doesn't matter who asks first. It may just pass you by if you wait.

Dementyia

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
May 14, 2008
I've always been of the school of thought that if you are interested, you should ask. The worst that can happen is that you get turned down, then you can move on.

There are no rules anymore, though it is rather romantic for the guy to ask the girl. It can be romantic either way though, if one is creative. :)

Skex

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Nov 26, 2013
I'll just put it this way.

It's really hard to get what you want if you are not willing to ask for it.

Caguioa747

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 31, 2019
normally, It is the guy who asks for a date. But there are some cases that the girl will ask for it. It depends on the case when you know you like each other then it should be the guy.

Tonivir

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jan 31, 2019
Me too, a very shy person when it comes to asking to date someone. But I think, there shouldn't be any rules or standard on whether or not the guy or the girl ask first. If you like someone and you have good intentions for the other, then its not a fault to ask first for a date.

Jelineex

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 31, 2019
Personally, I think it should be the guy who will asked a girl for a date. It feels more romantic and exciting. It feels being special to be asked and appreciate a man ways to show his real intentions. It also an advantage if a man knows how to express his emotion. I understand that we do feel hesitant and shy but at times we need to have courage to everything what we desired.

Featured Threads

New Personals