Why don't you post more?

What is the main reason you don't post in discussions?

• Not interested in discussion only here to hook up

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Feel intimated by more senior members

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Fear of being trolled or harassed

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Prefer to lurk and read

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Too much of a noob and don't want to look stupid

• Just don't have anything to add

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other - (please post or pm reason)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Since the update to the site we have seen a steady increase in the number of active members here however this isn't translating into more posts.
I am conducting this as a survey to try and work out why we don't see more activity, specifically in the discussion areas. Recently there have been lots of interesting topics but it seems just the few regular members respond, why don't you?
The poll is anonymous so you can select the reason that most closely matches your reluctance to post without fear of trolling or attracting unwanted attention.

I will keep this poll open for a month after which I hope to make improvements to address any specific problems that come to light.
Please leave suggestions and comments regarding any ideas you have or if you prefer to remain anonymous pm them to me.

J91

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Private
Nov 22, 2015
UK
For me its both - i do prefer to lurk and read, and also I tend to get harassed by putting myself out there.

it seems like on this site in particular, there is a lot of immaturity, and an awful lot of people trying it as fakes. There also seems to be a huge male/female imbalance.

The few threads that are discussion based have caught my eye, so maybe a 'topic of the month' type thing would work well? and more poll type discussions to invite some kind of response from more posters.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
I've had a couple messages from users who I noticed haven't posted anything on the site!
I think people are registering just to send messages to users whose posts they find exciting.
Right, so these are the "only here to hook up" types who most likely won't bother to respond here anyway so maybe no point in me adding that in the poll?

shadowice0823

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Aug 9, 2012
For me its kind of a mix. Since the activity is so low I typically go to the whats new section, so there's no one section I would typically look at like I did in get dare. But even when it wasn't low I would usually do that as well because we have so many different sub forums that often when someone posts they will post in multiple sections just so someone will see it. Coupled on with the fact one of the other members above said there is a huge male/female in balance I typically enjoy interacting with a female far more. I am not going out of my way to pm and harass her or anything like that I am just more likely to contribute to one of their threads depending on the topic. Whereas a male thread about giving him a task or something is of zero interest to me. If only those thirsty guys realized that by pming every girl they saw they just make the male to female ratio even worse when they run the girls off. Then lastly its the thread quality, either old posts are being necroed up, or you look and see so minimal effort put in by the original

puppetmaster

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 14, 2013
For me the primary reason is the gender disparity. I'm interested in finding female slave candidates and talking to other people in Male/female D/s relationships. I also enjoy sharing pics of my current (female) slave(s), but I see very few women here and when I post it's almost always only men who respond.

I've had some problems with GetDare mods who don't appreciate my kink of choice so I prefer KinkTalk where the rules are clear and the mods seem to be responsive, but unfortunately I do have a lot more success finding actual female submissives, slaves, and candidates on GD.

That said, I very much want KT to be successful and I'd be happy to help however I can.

puppetmaster

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
May 14, 2013
I wanted to add that with the exception of missing a few things (notably the "whose looking at you profile" functionality), the new site is great. Sometimes it feels like there are too many ways to do something and too many options on how things are sorted, but overall it's nice and brings some new energy to the place.

Master Vagrant

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Feb 23, 2014
In my sub's mind
For me it is very simple. Lack of females, few who look promising are either owned or not searching for anything, immaturity of most new users, turning this site into exposure site, like that is only kink now.

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
I reply pretty often when I feel its worth my effort or necessary to help warn others. I have seen plenty of posts weekly that are just zero effort hookup attempts or clearly where someone cant read the post info they're responding to. These instances send me to the mindset that its not worth starting off a new post when so few will actually have intelligent thought out responses. don't get me wrong there are several active posters here and we all seem to intermingle on posts like this. but there's not many posting outside of that core group of longterm kinktalk members.

Now i will say that at times i point out plenty of the fake ages profiles etc and i hope based on the poll options above no one sees that as harassing, or being intimidated by senior members. my goal is always just to draw attention to the fakes and hopefully prevent some quiet lurkers from falling prey to them. and hopefully each time people see helps everyone learn what to look for.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
So it seems this trolling/harassment of female subs is seen as a major problem by many, confirmed here by both subs and Doms.
Being straight myself I am also in the category of preferring to talk to females and as you all know I post a lot which has the interesting side effect that I get contacted all the time by subs here who have never posted. Sometimes its simply to say hi or that they've tried an idea or task of mine but sometimes its to ask if I can be their Dom.
In almost all cases they say they haven't posted because they didn't want to attract unwanted attention.

Reactions: J91 and nina

Sizzler

Verified Dominant
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Dominant
Oct 9, 2018
Poland
I came on the site to expand my horizons and possibly find what I'm looking for. Naturally browsing the posts, dming from time to time and not reluctant to share my opinion whenever I feel I can contribute.

Like puppetmaster said, disproportion of female to male subs is very noticable here. Also being contacted by many fakes is an issue. I'd like to see KT expand in the right direction so I'll definately start to post more whenever I hop online here.

Honeysuck

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Switch
Jan 17, 2015
I’m new-ish here (I made an account a few years ago but only recently started using it), and find that harassment/trolling is the biggest issue by far. It is a little intimidating to be new and exploring and not want to look stupid, but I think that’s surmountable. The bigger deterrent is that each instance of my limited posting experience has come with a host of unfortunate DMs.

That said, I think J91’s idea above was interesting! Maybe having a discussion of the month to engage with would increase posting and increased posting activity might outweigh unfortunate DMs.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
It is really infuriating to me that this is such a problem, it is also a really difficult one to address as well. Often the new sub is so put off by this type of harassment that they don't just stay quiet, they never return! Because of this we are often not aware of serial pests that keep targeting these new members until someone finally reports them.
The other side of this is sometimes by luck a sub will find a decent Dom and together they then disappear into the background preferring to both keep their heads down. So in this case we effectively lose two members to these cretins.

To combat this I would like to remind everyone that if they receive an offensive message they can report it to staff by hitting the report button in the bottom left of the message window. This will send us a copy of the message along with any comments you wish to add and we WILL take action.

Reactions: Honeysuck

J91

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Private
Nov 22, 2015
UK
A suggestion that might get around this is creating threads that are more specifically aimed at females. I've noticed a few and they tend to get more female responses, they're typically 'safer' to post in and encourage for females to get posting, by making them more comfortable in this way it could entice them to get posting in other areas of the forum. I'd go for both kink and non kink threads so more and more feel comfortable posting :)

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
We're around the half way point with this poll and some good ideas have already been suggested.
I want to ask another question though, what stops you starting a thread on a topic you find interesting?

The primary reason this forum exists is for discussion of kink related ideas and although it has been kind of hijacked by the pic poster/collectors and exposers we do see some great discussions going on.
So rather than waiting for something you want to discuss to come up how about starting the topic yourself? We have more then enough categories to choose from.

P.S. Tired of seeing my face on just about every post in the Featured Posts? Me too, have a go at replying and see if you can keep me off there!

Last edited:

Cstelle

<:: Verified ::>
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 7, 2015
The primary reason this forum exists is for discussion of kink related ideas and although it has been kind of hijacked by the pic poster/collectors and exposers...

It is my curiosity about exhibitionism that is my main reason for logging in... I actually visit the site more these days (daily!) than before - but I feel I'm (still?) the silent new guy. I'm not sure I've found the community yet. I'm not entirely sure there is a community. (Maybe it's the old story: I don't talk because you don't talk, and you don't talk because I don't talk.)

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
It is my curiosity about exhibitionism that is my main reason for logging in... I actually visit the site more these days (daily!) than before - but I feel I'm (still?) the silent new guy. I'm not sure I've found the community yet. I'm not entirely sure there is a community. (Maybe it's the old story: I don't talk because you don't talk, and you don't talk because I don't talk.)
Thanks for responding.
Thats an interesting one, the old chicken and egg conundrum! I assume when you talk of exhibitionism you're referring to it the traditional sense and not exposure type stuff which has somewhat taken over? I know there at least a few active members into it, perhaps waving the flag here may attract their attention!
Just out of curiosity you mention you are visiting more often "these days", is this since the revamp or for any particular reason? Its always good to know if we are getting things right as we know which direction to concentrate effort.

J91

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Lesbian
  • Female
  • Private
Nov 22, 2015
UK
I think for me personally, it's about time constraints. I would rather post something decent and thoughtful, than something not worth it. With work, and home, and relationships, it's not always easy to find the time to contribute properly. I am posting more now because I'm not currently subbing , but it's not always easy to find the time.

I love the revamp. It works excellently on my phone, and the interface is very easy to use. The previous version wasn't as phone friendly.

Cstelle

<:: Verified ::>
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 7, 2015
I assume when you talk of exhibitionism you're referring to it the traditional sense and not exposure type stuff which has somewhat taken over?

Let's say that my curiosity is wide ranging...

Just out of curiosity you mention you are visiting more often "these days", is this since the revamp or for any particular reason? Its always good to know if we are getting things right as we know which direction to concentrate effort.

These days = since my curiosity regarding exhibitionism and exposure awoke... - - - I'm afraid I have problems with the new colour scheme: light text on dark background can trigger my migraine. I find it easier to read the site on small screens (my tablet, phone) - but I really, really dislike writing on them.

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Let's say that my curiosity is wide ranging...

These days = since my curiosity regarding exhibitionism and exposure awoke... - - - I'm afraid I have problems with the new colour scheme: light text on dark background can trigger my migraine. I find it easier to read the site on small screens (my tablet, phone) - but I really, really dislike writing on them.
Ok thanks for the feedback, xenForo does support different styles although we only have 2 very similar implemented for users currently. I will raise this as an issue, you are certainly not the only one who finds the white on black hard to work with so perhaps we can introduce an alternate style scheme in the near future.

Reactions: nina

Featured Threads

New Personals