Is there such thing as love in a D/S relationship...?

SlutPuppy

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Jun 18, 2010
I think there is. I'm in a S/m / D/s whatever you want to call it, relationship, and i'm very much in love with him. And I believe he returns the feelings... I fell in love with him long before I even thought about him becoming my master, or anything like that at all. And before I fell in love with him, I was very good friends with him...

So, uh, yeah. I think there can be love. Even if you don't date or anything like that before you get into the relationship. If they talk a lot, and share a lot of experiences, I'm very sure they can fall in love, and be S/m at the same time.

Lokelake

Banned
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 1, 2009
I think there is love/should be love in an d/s relationship. I think it is good to become friends with your "partner." Becoming friends will make your relationship a lot more fun and enjoyable, because who doesn't like to do stuff with their friends?

MissKubo

Kink Talk Prodigy
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Apr 15, 2011
I believe a D/S relationship can ONLY work if the people involved love each other. I would not trust my husband with half the stuff we do together otherwise.

We're friends with a couple who shared the same sort of kinks as us. They were very much in love, he was very gentle with her and she trusted him completely and would let him do anything without struggle. She was a natural submissive, but one day she left him a letter ending their relationship. He, understandably, was heartbroken. He's a lovely guy so we kept in touch and he didn't hear anything from her for over a year.

A couple of months ago, she got back in touch with him. To pay off some debts, she'd taken a job as a professional submissive. Without the relationship that she'd had with her boyfriend, it had turned out to be much, much harder than she had imagined, and it's put her off the whole thing.

Fortunately, their seeing each other again, although they're taking it slowly. He's convinced her to get some counselling so we realy hope they'll be okay, but this strengthens my belief that any relationship needs to be about love and friendship. A healthy sex life that satisfies both partner's kinks is a lovely bonus, but on it's own is not strong enough to sustain a relationship and can easily lead to someone getting hurt far beyond the sting of a whip and some clothespins

Cassieoorah

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jun 3, 2011
I do think that there is such a thing as love in a 24/7 D/s relationship, I grew up in a home with parents who were quite obviously in a D/s relationship and it was one of the most loving and caring environments that I could have asked for. My father is a bit of a micro-manger and is more than a little overbearing, but from what I hear, most dads are. My mother is the essence of femininity and I used to love to just watch her, every movement was so graceful. They never did anything blatantly sexual in front of us children, but they exchanged gentle touches, glances and when she says "Yes my Love." I can hear her really saying "Yes my Master", now that I've grown and have an understanding of their relationship. Only when I was old enough to deal with it, i.e, 17 on the cusp of 18, they told me and I nodded and said "I know...and?". It wasn't confusing in the least, we always knew that our parents loved each other and us, and our father was a great disciplinarian and provider. We're an open family, but not in a creepy way, and it works for us. I think that if you handle it well and protect your children you can have a happy medium. ;)

carom

Banned
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 3, 2011
Though these are her words that theres never any love in the lifestyle we enjoy, when we have kids in a lifestyle that involves BDSM or D/S that kid would grow up messed up and that a D/S relationship is about abuse and control.

I have the feeling your friend is having the problem that she cant escape the prejudices about D/s. While active in it she misses the point totally. She also may sees herself as abnormal or bad, just not able to control her needs enough to not do it.

A D/s relationship is as healthy and loving or as unhealthy and unloving as any other one. It is first of a relationship between people that want the same things. Some with love some without.
It is nothing special, not better or worse than any other form of relationship between people.
And where she is totally wrong is abuse. Abuse is a bad thing for any relationship. And to believe D/s is about abuse is totally off the point. It is about sharing and trust, as others said.

To the children part. There are people that should never have children and to whom i would never give a child.
But i don't see a connection with D/s there. As long as people are loving an good to the children and each other, i don't see any problems.

Reactions: sum1

Riley Taylor

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Switch
Aug 11, 2011
It's silly to say there can't be love in a D/S relationship. When both people understand and care about the feelings of the other, then however they choose to express that love, as long as it's safe, sane, consensual, and both people are adults, I say pretty much anything goes.

It's also silly to ignore that there are unfortunately some people who enter into BDSM because they either want to be bullies (and therefore proclaim themselves "dominant" when in reality they're just too insecure for a relationship with someone who doesn't follow their every whim) or because they have very low self-esteem and want to be told everything they should do so they don't have to believe in their own capacity to make choices.

There is a difference between a dom and a bully, and between a sub and a doormat. A dom respects the sub and a sub expects to be respected, on a fundamental level, even during activities that may make it appear otherwise to an outside observer (such as some humiliation play).

At the same time, I can see how someone who has seen an abusive relationship but not seen a healthy d/s relationship could be concerned. After all, imagine you didn't know anything about BDSM and you heard a coworker say, "Yeah, after work I'm going to tie my wife up, whip her, and call her a whore. Then if she's really lucky, I'll let her give me oral." It would sound awful. But if she's into bondage, S&M, and being told what to do, then as long as the dom respects her limits and is careful to make sure the whole time that she's alright, they should go for it if they want.

And when you take the lack of context and the occasional people you run into who need help, but, rather than getting it, disguise their tendencies toward bullying as BDSM, and add on some of the more extreme stories you see online:

"My wife tricked into putting on a chastity cage for 27 years. I literally have to roll my blue balls around on a cart while I serve tea in a maid outfit to her and our daughter and all their friends and the President. I'm loving every minute of it." I find it very unlikely that anyone actually wants this, or would enjoy it as much as he thinks if he had it.

But is it really hard to believe someone whose most secret fantasy is "I'd like to have sex with [insert celebrity name here]," a fantasy which he or she would probably (if single, anyway) indulge if given the chance, would think everyone wants to live out all of his or her sexual fantasies, and that there's something wrong here?

It seems to me that, while yes, it is offensive that someone would say people in a d/s relationship don't love each other, it's also understandable given the bad examples, lack of context, and misinformation they're fed so frequently.

Sorry. Kind of started babbling there for a minute.

MissKubo

Kink Talk Prodigy
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Submissive
Apr 15, 2011
Some good news - that couple I mentioned? They got engaged over Christmas, but we only just found out about it. Don't know if she's letting him tie her to the bed again yet, maybe that'll be his wedding night treat ;)

newtotry

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Dominant
Sep 11, 2011
Awesomeville
There has to be some emotion and at least some basic caring going on. I feel an extremely deep affection for my slaves. When they have a great day I want to hear about it and I want them to succeed. Is it love? Perhaps a mild form but the point is that there are positive emotions between two people. There has to be some form of caring for the M/s relationship to exist.

Featured Threads

New Personals