Advice

MysticalMadness

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Oct 28, 2020
Hey all,

Looking for input from all D-types and all s-types.

I was voicing some of my frustrations to a friend and her advice to me was that I need to think about what I can bring into a relationship that no one else can. Ive been stewing on this on and off for a few months.

Realistically, this isn't possible.

I brought this up to my friend today after months of sitting on it to try and clarify what she meant. And...yeah...my first thoughts were right on. She said that I need to find something unusual about myself that ONLY I have or that ONLY I can do that will make a D-type stop in their tracks and think "Hey..that's different".

For example, my example was cleaning. I'm really, really good at cleaning. She stopped me and said "but anyone can do that". So...I'm really at a loss...

What are your thoughts/opinions/experiences/etc on this idea?

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Merlin

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Staff member
Jan 9, 2008
Germany
Hey all,

I was voicing some of my frustrations to a friend and her advice to me was that I need to think about what I can bring into a relationship that no one else can. Ive been stewing on this on and off for a few months.

I brought this up to my friend today after months of sitting on it to try and clarify what she meant. And...yeah...my first thoughts were right on. She said that I need to find something unusual about myself that ONLY I have or that ONLY I can do that will make a D-type stop in their tracks and think "Hey..that's different".

For example, my example was cleaning. I'm really, really good at cleaning. She stopped me and said "but anyone can do that". So...I'm really at a loss...

To be honest I think that advice is not really possible and more a "sounds nice until you think of it" idea, there is nothing only 1 person can do. I never met a sub that made me think "oh wow, only she can do this!!". And i don't think I ever will. Did she tell you what only she can do?

I think every person is a different combination of things and in that way unique but there is not one special thing someone does and only that person does.

That said I think there is a part that can be helpful in there, the question "what am I good at?" and "what can I offer in a relationship?"
And there the answer "I am good at cleaning" is a valid one
In this regard there may be things that stand out and make you special even though it isn't something "only you can do"

The answer to the question "what can I offer as Dom/sub to my partner" and being able to communicate that is something that I would find way more interesting and impressive in a person that I want to start a relationship with than "only I can edge while doing a handstand without using any toys!", as impressive as that feat may be :p

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
This seems like an odd take to me.

Finding unique talents is indeed difficult if not impossible, finding something you are expert at, such as cleaning is more realistic. Anyone can clean, but very few people do it seriously and well. For most it's a chore they simply want to be done with and so rush though it doing a not so great job. If this is something you'd like to be part of your D/s play then in real terms, as someone with really good domestic talents you have a lot to offer.

However I think this is missing the point, building a good D/s dynamic has no simple formula. It's like any other human relationship, some people you'll get on great with, others not so much. For me I certainly am not looking for someone who can ride a unicycle while balancing eggs on their nipples.

Much of BDSM and especially D/s relationships is about the mental connection. I look for people who interest me, but what interests me will be different to what interests others. The interest comes from a combination of factors, and in online forums like this it comes from what you write. Relating your thoughts and ideas, fantasies and experiences. Getting involved in discussions, adding useful comments if you recognize something you've experienced yourself.

All these kind of things will build your online persona which is essential in this online world. This is where we meet to mingle and get to know each other. The more you participate the more likely someone will think "hmmm, she sounds interesting".

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
Hey all,

Are you talking about online or offline equations? and of only kinky or more generic relationships?

Personally I think these are more organic and who you are should be enough. Effort is required in maintaining relationships but compatibility should be natural. Also I don't think D types should be in a position of demanding of unique talents when they don't have the same themselves and would likely just work as equal partners instead.

I think people who are more extroverted or fit the conventional norms or stereotypes have it easier. But a good way for anyone would be to focus on what makes two people compatible. Compatibility is based on common interest, and between people who complement or supplement each other. So, looking into things that you like, hobby, sport, travel, nerdiness, interests, values that are important to you etc and then interacting with individuals who like similar things may be a good approach.

It is also sometimes helpful to prioritize which features, interests or similarities are more important, and looking for a couple of most important compatibilites with someone rather than to find someone who has more number of things in common but of collectively lesser importance or meaning to us. This will help maximise the chances of a deeper or more unique connect that is less replaceable.

So I think the unique thing you are looking for is the unique set of similarities and emotional bonding or equation that you share with someone that attracts them more to you than anybody else.

Last edited:
Reactions: subzzzero

MysticalMadness

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Oct 28, 2020
Hey Nina,

I'm mostly talking in the context of dating/partnering with a kinky D-type. But also vanilla long term relationships as well. For the context and purpose of the discussion, I'm not really referring to friendships. I hope this clears that up a bit?

What grinds me is when potential partners talk to me online, tell me I have a wonderful personality, tell me I'm cute, tell me they can't understand why I haven't been snatched up yet and then, without seeing a picture of me, say that they can't date someone my size when compatibility has already been established. I get that plus size women are not for everybody. But the amount of "I want someone who is 5' 5" and 100 lbs" is beyond frustrating for me. My rejection rate is already high, so this thing my friend mentioned about finding something unusual about myself would make that even higher.

I've also heard from this same person that a D-type doesn't want someone untrained (like myself that has fragmented training). Most want someone who is familiar with positions, with rules, with protocols, with household maintanence, with basic respect and etiquette. (I'm not talking basic table manners and public manners; I'm talking about manners, rituals, and protocols specific to the kink and D/s community like kneeling at a certain time, "yes Sir" and "no Sir", journaling, etc (just for clarification)).

nina

Verified Observer
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Private
Apr 13, 2016
Hi @MysticalMadness thanks for replying. I would say your friend gives me the impression that she is either narrow minded or a toxic person. Only people looking for a skin deep relationship will specify an ideal body type.

This is one of the problems with finding people in an online format and then moving offline, many who state they are dominants may be just people resorting to find conventionally attractive females online whom they would never find or actually get rejected by offline and their objective may not be D/s at all. Dominants generally looking for a genuine or mentally deep D/s may not be that focussed on looks.

Don't get bummed down by rejections by possible time wasters. Like others have suggested showcase your personality through your posts and maybe add a limited amount of your faceless pics from the beginning (ask for the same from the other person) to save yourself of emotional hurt later. It will also help filter out the wannabes.

Reactions: subzzzero

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
So short answer to the original post, No single action or ability sells someone on someone else. And i would challenge that friend of yours to prove it to you if shes so sure it works.
As others have stated maybe the wow factor of "she can fit her whole fist in her mouth" or "she can swallow anything" sounds interesting but that's not what I am going to be basing my consideration on. The strongest suits i see in any potentials whether kink or vanilla is honesty, open mindedness, and one who has thoughts of her own and knows when to speak up or say no.

Now on to the most recent comments:
1. "they tell me I have a wonderful personality, tell me I'm cute, tell me they can't understand why I haven't been snatched up yet and then, without seeing a picture of me, say that they can't date someone my size when compatibility has already been established" These guys are shallow assholes..... not necessarily all of them (everyone is entitled to their preferences.) but if they can make a real connection and fade the moment an undesired body style shows up then they really weren't a good match in the first place and consider yourself lucky they bailed.
Ways to avoid this.......You can list in profiles, ads, etc that you're plus size. Get the filter in right away and hopefully prevent the shallow body assholes from even attempting to communicate.You can also mention it during first convo so that youre sure they are aware of your body type and can decide for themselves to continue or not. Body style has never affected my mind on a sub as a person. I want that emotional mental connection the physical/body is a minimal attribute. There is always someone who will like you 100% all of you the way you are. look for those type people.

2. "I've also heard from this same person that a D-type doesn't want someone untrained (like myself that has fragmented training). Most want someone who is familiar with positions, with rules, with protocols, with household maintenence, with basic respect and etiquette"
This one person does not speak for all doms. If that's his view, great, move on and act as if he never happened. You do you. Be the person you are. Trying to live a lie will only blow up later and make things harder. The kink community is not full of doms expecting every sub be all pro and many years experienced. I have taken on subs in all levels of exp. From brand new day one explorers to ones with 20+ years in high protocol dynamics. Each one was great in its own unique ways.

Also to touch on the whole etiquette part. No one you speak to needs addressed by title during casual convo. They have not proved to you that they even deserve that type of addressing. Good doms know titles are earned through discussion, connection, and trust between both involved. Same as they shouldnt be calling you slave slut babygirl etc. These are personal pet names/ titles reserved for the one you choose.

As far as the lacking of exp on your end, use caution with how you interact with "doms"
lots of guys are here for an easy fap session so be cautious here are some red flags to clue you in:
-demanding you submit to them
-requesting or demanding pics
-automatically assuming you're under their ownership and treating you as such
-requesting personal info
-those not willing to put time in to getting to know you
-the world famous "youre not a real sub if you dont do this"( insert action).... usually comes when you call a guy on his bullshit and he gets butthurt and wants to lash out at you.

lots are just seeking a naive girl they hope to scoop up use for easy play and discard.

hope this helped some and didnt end up a huge word wall.

TL;DR you do you and be yourself. those that cant accept it, fuck them theyre not worth your time anyways.

Reactions: Max-toy

MysticalMadness

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Oct 28, 2020
Also to touch on the whole etiquette part. No one you speak to needs addressed by title during casual convo. They have not proved to you that they even deserve that type of addressing. Good doms know titles are earned through discussion, connection, and trust between both involved. Same as they shouldnt be calling you slave slut babygirl etc. These are personal pet names/ titles reserved for the one you choose.

As far as the lacking of exp on your end, use caution with how you interact with "doms"
lots of guys are here for an easy fap session so be cautious here are some red flags to clue you in:
-demanding you submit to them
-requesting or demanding pics
-automatically assuming you're under their ownership and treating you as such
-requesting personal info
-those not willing to put time in to getting to know you
-the world famous "youre not a real sub if you dont do this"( insert action).... usually comes when you call a guy on his bullshit and he gets butthurt and wants to lash out at you.

lots are just seeking a naive girl they hope to scoop up use for easy play and discard.

I know :)

I know I'm new to kinktalk, but I've been a member on getDare since 2013 or so and I've been on FetLife for a while too. I'm well aware of different ways that things can work. I just never really saw much of a point in coming to kinktalk for a while until recently.

subzzzero

Kink Talk Guru
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Dec 6, 2015
I know :)

I know I'm new to kinktalk, but I've been a member on getDare since 2013 or so and I've been on FetLife for a while too. I'm well aware of different ways that things can work. I just never really saw much of a point in coming to kinktalk for a while until recently.
Then I’m glad you know what you look out for. I’m sure you’ve already handle your fair share off asshats then. Lol. Fet has that same level of desperation just in way larger quantity. Millions of horny jerk offs trying to score some play. 😂

The man

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Aug 23, 2018
So I have been traing my girls how to be adorable maids there trained properly they clean in special ways and act in special ways specific to my wants but that's only if they wanted to be dolls and give up full controll.
I hope this helps in some way.

MysticalMadness

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
Oct 28, 2020
So I have been traing my girls how to be adorable maids there trained properly they clean in special ways and act in special ways specific to my wants but that's only if they wanted to be dolls and give up full controll.
I hope this helps in some way.
Umm...no...not really... Im totally lost on the train of thought...

andrei

<:: Verified ::>
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Submissive
Jan 9, 2008
Romania
girl advices I found the worst.... No offense...
If you can bring something in a relation, just bring something new and awesome. Study your partner.

Does it matter who is cooking or washing dishes? Plan together or just talk: we are talking about love or cleaning?

Last edited:

The man

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Aug 23, 2018
What I'm trying to say is all my girls are d iffrent but I train them on my needs they don't have to be very good at anything they just have to want to be better and proceed with there training

Featured Threads

New Personals