Is there a difference between just being kinky and having a fetish?

yvonnewilcox

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Dominant
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
www.2hot4airwaves.com
I think that you can be kinky but not have a fetish. I guess we have to define kinky. Kinky - unconventional sexual practices and Fetish - A sexual fixation on a concept, object, or body part. Hmm so if you have a fetish then it is safe to say that you are kinky BUT if you are Kinky you do not have to have a particular fetish.

Simplyme

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
May 13, 2008
No, being kinky does not necessarily mean you have a fetish of any kind. I imagine that can only really be answered individually by those who consider themselves as kinky as to whether or not they actually have a fetish.

deeperblue

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
I would define that kinky people are those that enjoy their life without bothering to much about 'normal' social conventions.

That also means fetish normally includes being kinky but not the other way around.

tempered_sugar

Senior Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Submissive
May 6, 2008
In my opinion having a kink is being turned on by something and enjoying it but is something that you could do without if you couldn't have it.

A fetish goes waaaaay beyond that, it becomes an obsession and something you can't do without or you can't help but associate things with your fetish. Like I will randomly try out objects to see what it feels like to be spanked with it etc. Fetishes don't have to be extreme though. I think a lot see fetishes as freaky but your feitsh could be as simple as licking fingers. There are so many fetishes out there some of which I don't understand and others just make me giggle :D

sweet10hearts

Banned
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Aug 13, 2008
I think that you can be kinky but not have a fetish. I guess we have to define kinky. Kinky - unconventional sexual practices and Fetish - A sexual fixation on a concept, object, or body part. Hmm so if you have a fetish then it is safe to say that you are kinky BUT if you are Kinky you do not have to have a particular fetish.

Well put. It clears up the two terms and their meanings. I am kinky for sure. :D But I have not fetishes...yet ;)

PaddleFan

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jun 2, 2009
kinky vs fetish

I tend to agree with DeeperBlue; kinky often just means that a person is willing to try new things or things "vanilla" people aren't willing to try. Kinky, to me, is just a way of saying "actively open-minded". Where as I'd define a fetish as more of a fixation or a need to include something specific in sex play.

Actually, many people with fetishes probably aren't seen as kinky because of the nature of the fetish. I mean, who singles out guys with breast fetishes?

Merlin

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Staff member
Jan 9, 2008
Germany
by definition fetish means that it is something you need to get a sexual reaction ... a kink is "just" something you find like or find interesting , but you don't "need"

His_Einna

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Female
  • Slave
Apr 17, 2009
Well, a fetish is something you can't get off without. So if you enjoy being tied up, your kinky. If you can't get aroused without being restrained, you have a fetish.

darekingkentuk

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jun 10, 2009
I guess I'm just kinky then! I like alot of various acts and kinks but I can get aroused without them!

Featured Threads

New Personals