Role Reversal

Komodo Jones

Kink Talk Member
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Switch
May 27, 2009
Hey I think this is my first thread I have started on here but I was wondering, in your d/s relationship have you ever tried role reversal (i.e. if your the dom, you're the sub for the day or so)? If you have, did you enjoy it? Obviously for switches, it's a little easier, so this questions is more directed towards dominants or submissives, even though switches can answer as well.

MasterKazugami

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Apr 30, 2009
Never tried it and never will, I would not be comfy at all with it.
If I ever had to play sub for an entire day it'd be too awkward and nothing would happen, I wish I could explain why I don't like being submissive but that info is very personal to me and until I trust the people I tell it to I won't say.

Anjelen

Kinky Newbie
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Dominant
Role reversal? Not for me, thanks. There's a thread on this - ish,
--The Slave Revolt Thread-- wich can be found Here -
Where you'll find my and many other's opinion on role reversal, though in that thread more in a context of permanence.

My opinion however remains the same; naught but respect for those who can comfortably switch, it's however Not My Thing - i was born a Dom and by jove as long as i can swish a crop i'll die a Dom, grinning of the last thing i see beeing my sub bent over for me ;)

Merlin

• Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Staff member
Jan 9, 2008
Germany
yeah read the thread Anjelen posted really going in that direction ...
but i will answer here also with a simple ... no i have never tired it ... no I will never try it ... and even if I would want to try it it would not work... I don't chose to be like I am ... I am what I am

PaddleFan

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Jun 2, 2009
I do a little reversal now and then. I tend toward dom, but once in a while I feel like switching places. I dunno, maybe I get lazy. Granted with my current relationship the D/s roles are a fairly minor part of our relationship. That probably makes it easier. I also think it's a good idea to be willing to eat up what you dish out.

Please note, I'm not saying that if you're firmly a dom or a sub that you should have to switch places. That's not my intent. What I'm trying to say is you should be aware of what being tied up or spanked or whatever feels like if you're doing it to another person.

Leopard

• Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Mar 24, 2010
Australia
lprd.tumblr.com
I have tried it for a day with a very select few chosen people, but even then I realised that I was still trying to bend things my way; simply doing it from beneath. I'm almost always a top but can be in the mood occasionally to be a bottom - but even then my mind is still a dom; I've found myself unable to truly submit to anyone, and am very unlikely to ever do so.

SubMissChievous

Distinguished Member
  • Straight
  • Female
  • Private
Jan 9, 2008
Canada
When I read the OP there are two disting things that I see: Either switching or topping as service. So I'm gonna answer the question for both options...

Switching as in really swapping roles with me being the dominant will NEVER happen. EVER. That is really a set-in-stone hard limit for me. In a D/s relationship one of the utmost important factor for me is that the roles and dynamic are clearly defined. I need that to feel safe and comfortable. Switching would take a lot away from me and the dynamic and to be honest I would most likely want to end a relationship if switching was needed for the other partner with me.

Topping as service is different than switching though... It's like how Leo described here:

I was still trying to bend things my way; simply doing it from beneath. I'm almost always a top but can be in the mood occasionally to be a bottom - but even then my mind is still a dom

There are dominants who do enjoy being on the receiving end of sensation play, some even are masochists. When topping as service happens the Dom tells the sub what to do. They are still in control while being bottom.

For ex. A Dom would tell his sub to spank him. He will tell how many hits, where to hit, when to stop, etc. Just because the sub gives the spnking does not mean he/she is dominating the Dom as they are still following orders.

I did that a couple of times but am highly unlikely to ever do so again. I didn't enjoy that for the same reasons I mentioned for switching. Even topping as a service would create mixed feelings and messages and put me in a bad headspace. I can't say I could not but I prefer playing with someone who is on the same page as me about this.

So to both options: Nope. Not gonna happen :)

Lokelake

Banned
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 1, 2009
Role reversal I think is only for switches. Here's why:

If someone puts up an ad like let's say trying to find a dom, that person may not be good at domming so h/she will not want to change roles. Same reason if a person wants to find a sub. Or, if a person does not like to be a sub or dom, then they will not want to change roles.

And that is why I think it is really only for switches. Because switches don't mind if they are dom or sub.

I do not do role reversal for the sake of I am not good at the other role.

Leopard

• Straight
  • Male
  • Private
Mar 24, 2010
Australia
lprd.tumblr.com
Roles are for whatever people want and agree to do in their relationship. Labels are silly things. Being a Dom doesn't mean you HAVE TO always only ever be in charge (though you may well choose to do so.)

Featured Threads

New Personals