Why don't you post more?

What is the main reason you don't post in discussions?

• Not interested in discussion only here to hook up

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Feel intimated by more senior members

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Fear of being trolled or harassed

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Prefer to lurk and read

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Too much of a noob and don't want to look stupid

• Just don't have anything to add

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other - (please post or pm reason)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
Let's say that my curiosity is wide ranging...

These days = since my curiosity regarding exhibitionism and exposure awoke... - - - I'm afraid I have problems with the new colour scheme: light text on dark background can trigger my migraine. I find it easier to read the site on small screens (my tablet, phone) - but I really, really dislike writing on them.
So after some consultation it isn't likely a different scheme will be implemented due to various atheistic and technical reasons.
One suggestion is to look for a compatible text/background swap plug in for your browser. I havent investigated these myself so can't point to anything useful but anyone knows about these please post info or a link.

Hammarling

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jun 7, 2015
Why don't i post more? Fairly simple reasons, very similar to those offered up several months ago around the time of the re-design.

#1 - Kink/bdsm for me is not at the top of my personal priority list. I spend most of my free time focused on films, sport, music and gaming. Bdsm comes in more of a late evening skim over various sites looking for any immediately interesting things to jump in on. If the first thing i did after work was bdsm my interaction would be a lot bigger, but i'm more likely to watch a movie insteda.

#2 - Lack of interesting topics/posts. There are some fun ones to jump in on here and there (the kinky music thread i've had fun looking at! and note how that's music and fits with another of my priorities), but the vast vast majority of posts i see are low effort personal ads from desparate males or poor fakes. And i just don't want to interact with those posts. Chicken vs Egg, if i want more quality why don't i make it? I'd refer you back to #1 for why.
Now there are other sites (mostly non-kink) where i am very active and make a wide range of posts and have some brilliant topic discussions, because i know a post there will get genuine response from a variety of real people. So i guess that's also why i don't post a ton here, cause i'm off on a different forum that doesn't have some of these drawbacks.

#3 - Still having issues with the re-design. I went over my issues when it happened, and whilst i am more used to the new look KT i'm still not happy with it. Compared to every single other forum site i use (kink and non-kink) i am more clicks away from Recent Posts, search filtering and various other basic functions. If it's going to take me more clicks to find things compared to another site, i'm just going to use the other site...

#4 - General lack of time. This is not the same as #1 but is related. Like a lot of people i have a full time job which takes up the vast majority of my day along with sleeping, eating etc. The time i have left i have to prioritise and that goes more to other areas. But on the days when i do want to do kink stuff i then have to decide how to spend that time. Which links back to #2 and #3 where my preference is to use different sites for those reasons. But also in the last few months i've reconnected with some old friends, and i've got a big holiday booked in a few weeks etc etc so time overall is just limited and even if i want to prioritise kink more and more that's becoming harder and harder to do in a general sense. If i had a sub i'd make that a more important priority and make the time for them, but that wouldn't help me post more here.

How To Improve Things:-
Well i'm sure at this point the site won't change design, so that's #3 taken care of.
Without getting a Sub #1 won't change either, and neither will #4 as that's beyond my control.

So #2 is the one that can be fixed, so when there is time and priority KT would be my primary point of call. You can't stop most posts being those annoying, desparate, repeat male subs and fakes. But it's just a case of trying to make those as background as possible, giving as much focus, screen space and effort to the good discussions and members as possible. Which is basically a case of, keep things moving in the direction they are because slowly this is now growing into that interesting place with those good posts and discussions. Just a time process. And maybe try to refresh or curate the Featured Posts thing on the main page a bit more, dig up some older threads to highlight there? Make it bigger with more threads? And find some way to incentivize genuine contributors to do so more often: could be with Titles, special graphics, post priority/highlighting, bonus features etc. Almost like some sites put extras behind a pay-wall, put them behind a contribution-wall.

Just a few thoughts, because KT has potential and is moving in the right direction to be a good community and whilst i've often been negative about it i don't just want to complain and moan but try and help. The alternative is, we all end up using other sites which exist and currently are ahead of KT in the pecking order.

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Doctor Pervert

Retired
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Private
May 19, 2013
#1 - Kink/bdsm for me is not at the top of my personal priority list. I spend most of my free time focused on films, sport, music and gaming. Bdsm comes in more of a late evening skim over various sites looking for any immediately interesting things to jump in on. If the first thing i did after work was bdsm my interaction would be a lot bigger, but i'm more likely to watch a movie insteda.
Great idea, since the music thread has been an interesting one how about starting a movie thread? Something along the lines of "mainstream movies that have kink included".

Cstelle

<:: Verified ::>
  • Bisexual
  • Male
  • Private
Apr 7, 2015
So after some consultation it isn't likely a different scheme will be implemented due to various atheistic and technical reasons.
One suggestion is to look for a compatible text/background swap plug in for your browser. I havent investigated these myself so can't point to anything useful but anyone knows about these please post info or a link.

Thanks for taking me & my problems seriously! (Though obviously I'm sad there wasn't enough will/need/interest to solve the problems.)

Also: 17th word of your reply! Chuckle!

Hammarling

Kink Talk Member
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Dominant
Jun 7, 2015
Great idea, since the music thread has been an interesting one how about starting a movie thread? Something along the lines of "mainstream movies that have kink included".

Because i've been writing this up as a series of blogs to post on GetDare a little later into the year! But i will post them up in some form on here as well. Not so much listing in the same way as the music thread but more look at various films specifically and how various kinks pop up in general.

Reactions: Doctor Pervert

Featured Threads

New Personals