My opinion on terminology.

Leech

Kinky Newbie
  • Straight
  • Male
  • Switch
Jul 4, 2014
Oklahoma
I have been asked a few times lately what the difference is between a Master and a Dom or a sub and a slave. I believe that for a vanilla, there isn't enough difference to try to explain. In the lifestyle there does seem to be a big enough difference that people should probably try to be more careful on their usage.
DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion I have developed it read countless articles over the last decade and a half. I don't remember most of them so am not citing anything. If you disagree with me feel free to message me. I am always looking to hear other views. If you can disprove me, post a link to your writing that includes citations so everyone can get accurate info. Notice none of these mention calling me names. So if ya do, the reason I'm not responding is I have blocked you.
Ok back to the point. A Master is a type of Dom. A slave is a type of sub. The reverse isn't always true. A Dom might not be a Master, just like a master might not be a Daddy or a Trainer. (I'm leaving it to you to put in the sub terms from now on. Yeah I know, I'm lazy. So what?) The main thing that denotes a Master is 24/7 and control of most aspects of life.
That's the main thing. I'm sure I could find a bunch of little things but they would basically boil to that. I will point out that I said most aspects. There is no reason a slave can't have a career that they have complete control over. That is an example, I normally try to give at least two but my brain is blank.
I noticed in writing this that Fetlife doesn't give and option to be looking for a Dom only a Master. This made me question my convictions but then I remembered this was all opinion so if it wrong it really don't matter much. Personally I think the should change Master to Dom and slave to submissive, but I'm just a guy with to much spare time and the idea someone might care what I think.

Featured Threads

New Personals